Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    countrygirl01 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 08:19 AM
    Obsessive about cleaning
    I have, for the past 15 or so years, been obsessive about cleaning my house. Everything has to be in perfect order. I cannot have stuff laying around, the floors, counters and rugs must be cleaned everyday. Bathrooms must be scrubbed-with bleach or cleanser.

My husband thinks I am nuts and tells me the house is clean. Yet if something is out of place, I find myself cleaning (including and vaccumming and dusting) that whole room. Is this a sign of OCD??
    maddie10 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Oct 19, 2007, 08:36 AM
    I'm in the same boat as you. I can not leave the house until everything has been cleaned. I scrub my bathroom,hoover my floorboards,mop.polish. But this is everyday. Sometimes twice. There are times when I throw stuff away just because my sons or husband have left things lying around. I no I have to change but I cant. I think we both suffer from ocd.

Oct 19, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Maddie,
    I know what you are going through. I also throw things away because my husband, daughter and son-in-law leave them laying around. I clean for no reason. I know that my house is clean, but it never seems clean enough for me. I scrub the walls in a whole room if there is one mark on it.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 08:56 AM
    It is either that or sheer boredom.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Ocd is very common. I do believe that everybody has it to one DEGREE OR ANOTHER.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 09:00 PM
    Mom's nuts about cleaning as well. Well, I should say dirt of any kind. She part pack rat because she grew up in the depression. We're running late for a plane trip and she has to make sure the beds are made and the kitchen floor and counters are scrubbed.

She doesn't even like leaves on the driveway. Sweep, sweep, sweep. Don't leaves belong outside?

And don't forget when hanging clothes the zipper of the pants can't face the neighbors and like things must be hung together and socks paired.
    babigirl1 Posts: 127, Reputation: 12

Oct 19, 2007, 09:50 PM
    I also have this problem. I clean my very large home everyday. The floors walls, dusting, counters, my cabinet door, let alone everything inside of them must be in order. I won't even let my husband or son put away the food when we shop for the fear of them not putting them away right. Or should I say to suit me. I clean all my mirrors everyday. And my glass doors cause if there is one finger print I have to clean the whole door. My therapist told me one day that I do this because this is one thing I can control in my life. And keep in order. I have OCD and have been put on meds for this, but it didn't help me at all.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 11:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    ocd is very common. I do believe that everybody has it to one DEGREE OR ANOTHER.
    What Jesushelper76 stated above is very true! I also am obsessive-compulsive to an extent. But, it's in the things that I do for others concerning being employed by them I want to do the best job that I can for them and also get things done in a timely manner.

Are you employed outside of your home? Does being this way in your home keep you from doing other things that you enjoy, or from doing things with your family that they might enjoy doing with you?
    babigirl1 Posts: 127, Reputation: 12

Oct 19, 2007, 11:19 PM
    No I always make time for my family. I am OK with this cleaning so much. One thing for sure, I am sure I have the cleanest house in my small towm I live in. LOL I have always been this way and I like this about me. I never stress over it.
    commondetail Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Hooray.. I've made a living with OCD.. some days I love it, many days I don't.

Your posts give me comfort!
    maddie10 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Just reading the above posts. Has made me realise that there is many people out there with OCD. I now see that this is not a problem. But a gift. We are all house proud. And enjoy looking after our houses. I don't think we will ever change.

Oct 22, 2007, 05:58 AM
    Thank you all, I thought I was the only one. I do have a full-time job outside the home and I am a perfectionist there also. I feel a little better and perhaps blessed. My home too is probably the cleanest in our little town. Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Obsessive and overprotective [ 4 Answers ]

I've been in a relationship for the past two years.. and I really love the guy a lot.. but lately I have noticed that I am turning into this overprotective person... im really worried about what he is doing, I'm devastated when he gets hurt, I end up yelling at him for not taking care of himself...

Obsessive thoughts control me. [ 3 Answers ]

Im tired of always feeling like my brain controls me. I obsess over things all the time. I crave relationships but when I am in one I feel like I am constantly living in my fantasy world and thinking of the other person all the time. I don’t feel like I am myself when I am in this mode. Once in a...

Overcome an obsessive passion [ 1 Answers ]

I am very attracted to my lover's brother. I am gay and I think he is bisexual curious. He teases me all the time, but never gives me what I want. It is been so long but nothing happens. I know it is all crazy, but I can't help it. I am jealous and I can't stand anymore these feelings. I would like...

Obsessive Thoughts [ 5 Answers ]

WHy do I have thoughts of the same person all the time?

View more questions Search