Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cristinc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Single mother seeking supervised visits in NY State
    I am a 26 year old single mother from upstate NY. My daughter is 4 months old, and her biological father (32 years old) left me when I was about 4 months pregnant. He has never spent more than a couple of hours with her.
    I am currently waiting a court appearance for custody and also I am requesting that his visits be supervised. He has been arrested four times for drunk driving, although I am not sure what he has been convicted of, considering he has never spent time in jail. He does, however, have a suspended/revoked license and he currently drives wherever he wants to because his parents whom he lives with have his vehicle in their names, the loan, the insurance, registration, etc..
    He has also been to rehab, a few years ago, for crack/cocaine use (he checked himself in) but then one of his friends brought pot with them to a visit, and he smoked it, and then he failed a drug test and they wouldn't let him graduate, they just made him go home.
    He has repeatedly shown up for visits or I have gone to drop the baby off and he has smelled like alcohol, and I have picked her up after only 2 hours and she smells of smoke.
    He has not seen her in over a month, and the last 2 visits we scheduled, one he cancelled and the other one, he wasn't even there, his parents had no knowledge of our scheduled visit and told me he never came home the night before.
    I am worried that he is going to fight me for every other weekend and that he might get it! He has no idea how to take care of her and he has never even spent a night with her, I am also afraid of her well being in his care, his friends are drug users/drinkers and I'm afraid he'll drive with her, no matter what a judge says, he obviously does not have any respect for the law (considering his past and the fact that he drives now and doesn't care that he has no license).
    Am I right for asking for supervised visits and do you think I will get them?
    Please help, a sweet innocent 4 month old's safety is at stake here!
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Oct 16, 2007, 01:02 PM
    It's okay... breath.
    The judge won't grant him custody unless he wants it. Furthermore, they will look in to his background. If he is truly an awful person and a bad father they won't grant him partial custody.
    One big thing is to consider it a good thing for him to see his daughter every now and then. Not only can it help him grow up, but your daughter needs to know her father regardless of the fact that he's a skumbag. It will sort of be a what not to be, or what not to look for in a husband.
    I doubt that the court will grant him custody if it puts your child in danger.
    Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother seeking child given up for adoption, 1962 boy May 15 [ 10 Answers ]

I am looking for my son I was forced to give up for adoption when I was 16. Seattle, Wa. Ballard-Florence Chrittenton Home for unwed Mothers. Oregon has had open files over a year, but is the only state that I know of.

Single mother [ 3 Answers ]

Is there grant money for single mothers going back to school?

Seeking to adopt again, but this time through the State. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, my husband and I are wanting to adopt again. We have a son that we adopted through open adoption. We are considering this again, but are a little put off by the cost. Now that I'm a stay-at-home mom, the money is tight and forking over up to $20K just isn't possible right now. So, I...

Desperately Seeking To Find My Bio- Mother [ 11 Answers ]

Hi. Well I guess I should start by saying who I am, what I'm here for, and what I need help with. It's simple. My Name is Heather Hughes, I'm currently 17 years old, and I am DESPERATELY seeking to find the woman who gave me life. Her name is Susan Perero, Her alias Include Gremillion. ...

Seeking Help for My Mother and Her Friend [ 1 Answers ]

My mother's friend, I'll call her Betty here, is very bossy and demanding. She is losing her temper, losing all logic, and thus losing her family and friends. A few months ago, during an argument between she and her husband, he told her that he had started seeing someone else. Yes, we all pitied...

View more questions Search