Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stryped Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 05:28 AM
    Goodman blower motor will start when hand spun. Capacitor?
    I posted before about my air handler not kicking on.

I crawled up to the attic. I found that if I spin the blower motor once by hand, the unit will run normally until it is turned off. Then, it won't start as before. Is this the capacitor on the side of the blower? It is a Goodman heat pump split system.

I appreciate it!
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Most likely cause is the capacitor.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...tml#post269065
    tsa7man Posts: 154, Reputation: 9

Oct 15, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stryped
    I posted before about my air handler not kicking on.

I crawled up to the attic. I found that if I spin the blower motor once by hand, the unit will run normally until it is turned off. Then, it wont start as before. Is this the capacitor on the side of the blower? It is a Goodman heat pump split system.

I appreciate it!
    If you have the proper meter.. . check the capacitor NOTE: turn the power off first, and pull off the two wires going to the capacitor with insulated needle nose pliers, and with an insulated handle screwdriver, short across the two terminals to discharge the stored charge. Now check the capacitor's rated spec. as marked on the capacitor... with your meter. If not to spec, replace. USE CAUTION, caps hold a VERY high CHARGE that will HURT !
    cuznjr55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2008, 02:13 AM
    Comment on NorthernHeat's post
    Great advice on this problem
    lyles3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2011, 07:01 AM
    The limit switch needs replacing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blower motor or capacitor? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi. Yesterday the blower motor for my central air did not initially come on when tripped by the thermostat. It did come on in a subdued fashion a few minutes later. When I turned it off after a minute or so, the motor shaft was quite hot and there was an electrical smell near the unit. The...

Capacitor for Blower Motor [ 2 Answers ]

My A/C fan quit working and I tried to replace the capacitor first with no results. I then purchased the blower motor but it has 4 wires instead of the 3 that my old motor had. I have a black wire, yellow, and 2 browns. My old motor had black, yellow, and 1 brown. My old motor was wired into a...

Capacitor size change for blower motor [ 2 Answers ]

general electric motor, direct drive, 5uf cap First check: when heat exchanger reached temp, the relay clicked but the blower fan just hummed. The bearings seem OK as a slight push causes a rotation that continues for some time. Also, such a slight push causes it to run fine for the cycle. ...

Blower motor capacitor? [ 20 Answers ]

I've got a Lennox G12 series furnace and the blower seems to have stopped working. I read a few posts and saw a reply mention giving the fan a little push start while the burners kicked on. I did this and the blower started up. I can hear the "current" feeding the motor but it seems to be having...

Ceiling Fan - Motor Start Capacitor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan whose motor fails to self-start. The fan has three speeds. All three speeds work fine if I hand spin the blades, starting at low speed of course. The fan has a remote unit. Once I hand start the fan the remote allows me to change speeds up and down and turn off the...

View more questions Search