Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sophie1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Toilet water supply won't completely shut off
    Hello,

I am replacing the innards of my toilet tank (flush valve, etc.). I disconnected the water supply line and can't get it to shut off completely. There is a constant trickle to the point that I have shut off the main supply. I don't know how long the repair will take and I would like to have water in the rest of the house while I'm doing the repairs. Can someone assist? Thanks.
    RustyFairmount Posts: 165, Reputation: 40

Oct 11, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Trace the plumbing back from the toilet towards the main supply. There should be a cutoff that you can use that will isolate the entire bathroom. It will be located in your basement, or crawlspace if the bathroom is on the first floor.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2007, 06:40 AM
    Actually, I have another suggestion. Go get an add on 1/4 turn valve. This will go between the normal shutoff and the toilet supply line. You should be able to replace this valve quickly, shut the water completely off and continue the repairs. The 1/4 turn valve will be welcommed when you have to shut the toilet off in a hurry.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 12, 2007, 07:28 AM
    There is a constant trickle to the point that I have shut off the main supply.
    When that happens to me I take a pair of pliers and put them on the handle of the angle stop and snug it down until the trickle stops. After I replaced the tank parts I would turn my attention to the angle stop and either replace the washer or the valve itself. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Water Shut Off Valve [ 7 Answers ]

Greetings, After shutting off the water to the Toilet to fix something, the shutoff valve now leaks. I tried to tighten the packing nut - no luck - the pipe was starting to turn and I didn't want to break the pipe behind the wall. So... I unscrewed the packing nut and went shopping for a new...

Toilet Water supply valve is dripping. [ 2 Answers ]

Can I repair the valve? Or, do I have to replace it? If repair any advice?

Replacing Water Supply Valve for Toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a water supply valve that supplies water to the toilet. The valve is not made with a removal flex line fitting. Instead it has a galvanized flex tube that is a valve and tube combo (1 piece) with a valve shutoff handle. You can see where I am going with this... I want to change it out...

Toilet Water Supply Problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have just recently finished installing a new toilet in my bathroom (Much thanks to Speedball1) and I have run into a problem connecting the water supply. I have a half inch CPVC coming out of the wall to the shut off valve, on top of the shut off valve is 5/8" compression in CPVC. So far I...

Leaking toilet water supply tube [ 11 Answers ]

I replaced the ballcock on my toilet and I have ended up with 2 problems. Please note that I am a DIY novice. Here goes. The first problem is that after replacing the ballcock, I turned the water on and it immediately started to leak. I figured that the connection was loose and so I tried again...

View more questions Search