Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebtahi98 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2005, 09:06 AM
    Moving soon W/GSD pup
    Hello and thanks ahead, u guys are awsome.. -- I have a 10 mo old gsd and we are moving soon to a house with a yard - right off a main st, ( acually is main st ) anyway he loves to play and be out -- I was wondering if the wireless fence is a good option , or just train him to stay in yard - but street is very busy.- also how to make the move transition easy for him - and any recommendations... Thanks,, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2005, 12:28 PM
    Dogs love their routines and familiar place. A 10 month old will adjust much more quick than an older dog. I am sure you are delightedc to move into the new house. Let you emotions show, run all around with him talking excitedly about the place. It is hard to hide your emotions from the dog. If you are able to continue the time you said you give him in the other question, that will be a big help.

Perhaps the fence may depend on your dog. Some of invisible fences work, and work well. Four people on my block have them, and I have never seen any of their dogs running loose including the one young, unneutered male Lab. On the other hand, I know they won't work with some dogs. Some dogs are very determined to get loose, and aren't going to let a little shock stop them.

Is your dog careful to avoid anything where it got hurt? Is it creative and
    Determined to do what it wants regardless of your corrections? You know your dog, does it seem like a shock would stop it? Do you have a friend that might let you try their collar and fence?

This is one case where I would go with name brand quality. Many of the ones I
    See working have the little white flags with the Green IF logo. Maybe the
    Dogs I see running loose with their radio collars escaped a $50 unit from Big
    Lots. Is your landscaping complete? Grading cuts the buried wires. How
    Often is your dog home alone in a power outage?

I am sorry my answer is so full of questions, but I think you need to answer
    Them to decide if the invisible fence will work for you. Many pet owners find
    Them a very workable way of meeting their responsibility to restrain their
    Dog. I hope my answer helps you choose a
    Way to control your dog that works.

Relying on training to control most dogs loose outside is risky, and I do not
    Recommend it. Dogs are individuals. Some can be trained to come when you have
    No way to enforce it, but some will never be completely reliable even for the
    Most experienced trainers.

Oct 20, 2005, 02:43 PM
    Thanks for the ideas -- my shepheard is a baby when it comes to pain - amazingly he even lets me cut his nails without fuss and even comb/brush him -- he is such a talker its like he is trying to speak our language, so I think that the shock will work but I would like to try it first, I got to find someone with a electric fence... Tom..
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Oct 22, 2005, 09:47 AM
    Hi Tom,

Would you allow me to be "bossy" for a minute? ;)

1. Get him microchipped immediately.
    2. Put his phone number on his collar with permanent marker across the top.
    3. Take out a loan if you have to and get a 6' chain-link fence installed.
    3a. If you like the electronic fence idea, use it in the front in case he bounds
    Out the front door. I know you will train him not to do this, but I've had it
    Happen to me while babysitting a pom and I lost him for several weeks.
    4. Kiss and hug him for me.

Thanks, I feel better.

Becky

Oct 22, 2005, 10:32 AM
    - Microchip - I don't know? -
    I have several tags on him - and also he has special characteristics so he can be picked out (his declaws where removed ) also he has a special little mark on him -- -- he is regestered with multiple online find a dog etc's
    -- The fence is a 92% thing ) -- also can you tell me more about the microchip --he is a 6 time champ bloodline dog some kind of Von Brix line or something he wasn't cheap- but he is a son to me not a moneymaker.. He is very special and I could breed him -- so if someone wanted to make money with him it wouldn't be hard at all.. Thanks,, Tom..
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Oct 22, 2005, 11:21 AM
    Microchipping your pet...
    Hi Tom,
    It's good to hear that you love him so much and that he's not just a money-maker to you - I like people like you. If you have him neutered he will be less likely to roam or jump over fences, too. The microchip used for dog ID is the size of a piece of rice that is inserted just under the skin, usually between the shoulder blades and you can't tell it's there but when a dog is found, people take them to vets and/or humane societies (hopefully) and they have "readers" that pick up your ID information. Collars can be removed by thieves or just in the dog's normal play but this is how the pomeranian I lost was found as he had lost his tags. It's a great back-up plan. Vets do it for around $65 and humane societies way cheaper. I swear by it after the pain of losing my friend's dog that she had microchipped. Even the humane society knew from their records that he had been "chipped".
    Becky
    P.S. Another thought. It's good to have good, recent photos too, so that you can make fliers to post around town. The pom I was watching had been shorn and didn't look anything like the photo she had on hand. :(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2005, 11:48 AM
    Becky has some good ideas. I am enjoying having her here. It has been a long time since I have shared a site with somebody giving sound advice.

Oct 22, 2005, 12:26 PM
    That's really cool I will look into that on Monday, as far as neutering he is great - he is not a humper and he is a very good listener (as long as there are no dogs around or friends of his ) I would like to breed him but only because family members of mine would like pups from him, He is 11 months old and I don't think he ever tried to mount anything yet - I wish I could paste a pic of him here because he is so georgous so many people told me to model him but it just seems odd to me - he has such a personality it is amazing... thanks again... Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Moving [ 3 Answers ]

I have been living in a friends house (watching over it since NOV 2005) after she moved permatnately back to FL. I have been paying the bills (phone,electric,water) since she left. I had been talking to her about buying the house right after she left and she told me that she would let me know....

Moving? [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé and I are thinking about moving to Arizona, near laughlin. Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like all year, what kind of job opportunities there are, etc. I've lived in California my entire life and I don't want to jump into something so quickly without knowing anything. Any...

Moving on.. [ 9 Answers ]

Hi! I was just wondering.. I had a very intense friendship/relationship with my best guy friend.. and because it got really complicated I asked him to choose.. friends or couple. He chose friends. How long do you suggest I wait before going into a new relationship? (I really got screwed up in...

Moving in [ 8 Answers ]

Does everyone get scared of the transition of moving in with their other half? Is there any right/wrong way of going about it, or a way to allay these fears? Is it a learning process to live with someone else, or should you be able to just do it? My other half is worried that it might wreak...

View more questions Search