Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebtahi98 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2005, 08:54 AM
    My gsd son of mine - just wondering
    :) You guys are the best for any questions so thanks ahead -- I have a 10 mo old gsd pup he is with me all day and night -- and usually when I go somewhere -- if he is left alone it is only for no more than 6-8 hrs max -- he is trained and knows every trick I can think of and learns them fast -- also he is very active - running jumping - and is a great socializer- with both humans and dogs - no nipping or bad behavior here - about 2 weeks ago he devoliped a limp in his hind left leg I massaged it all over and no complaints from him cked hif foot for anything - like sliver or glass etc nothing -- now 2 weeks later the limp is almost gone, and he has this weird twitch when he lies down he like kicks out his leg 3 times then stops and only does it when he moves it is really strange? I did not take him to the vet because he progressivly got better but there is still a minor limp and that twitch and I don't want him developing any issues -- when he was younger I did all necessary tests for probs and he was given flying colors -- I figure it to be growing pains ? Any suggestions - also while he was lame he still wanted to play ball jump etc with no whining or crying? -- another question I also cut his nail a little deep and it bled like crazy -- is there any household remedy for that? --- sorry 1 more, I feed him iams large breed pup - I changed from the expensive - forget the name gold something - and prairie - I feed him once at 7pm and give him snacks throughout the day he is almost 90lbs - is this good what I am doing... Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2005, 09:14 AM
    I would make the next bag of food adult, and change over a week as you run out of the puppy chow. The large breed puppy chow is still too rich, leading to too fast of growth and the joint problems you are seeing. Hip dysplasia is largely genetic, but both it and several other problems are worse with too fast of growth. There are several problems that do go away, simple muscle pulls, or are outgrown. Discourage jumping and other joint straining activities until 18 months old. Most of what you are doing is fine. You are giving him what dogs want most, plenty of attention and time.

It is too easy to cut too much off the dark nails. Most Shepherds make an big fuss over nail cutting. Better to take less off more frequently. If you do get bleeding, a little powered alum should stop it. I always follow up nail cutting with a nice walk.

Over weight is a big problem, much more common in other breeds than the GSD. Most of them refuse to eat enough to pad their bones. Use this guide to determine if yours is the exception or in good shape.

Oct 20, 2005, 02:30 PM
    Size wize he is perfect - I have 6 generations of family history and not one of them had any hip issues --- thanks for the advice... Tom..

Oct 22, 2005, 11:03 AM
    The limp is almost gone - but he still does this twitching thing that really bothers me -- when he lays down he like kicks his left leg the one that he hurt, he like kicks it out 2-3 times and that's all -- but it is bugging me and I don't want him to have any issues --any ideas? Tom
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Oct 22, 2005, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebtahi98
    :) -- another question I also cut his nail a little deep and it bled like crazy -- is there any household remedy for that ?? --- ....Tom
    I've also heard of people using white flour (baking/cooking flour) to stop bleeding when their nails are cut too short, but the alum powder that Labman suggested is what I use.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2005, 11:42 AM
    About all I can say about that kicking or twitch is that is is not a common sign of a problem. You could try giving him an ordinary 325 mg buffered aspirin, and another one 12 hours later. Never give a dog any other over the counter pain killer. If he quits it, it means the aspirin relieved the pain. If continuing the aspirin and other or day or 2 doesn't eliminate it, maybe it is time to call the vet. Be sure to tell the vet about the aspirin. They need all the information.

I brought my GSD grandson back from a meeting today. My daughter and husband are going to the hospital to visit his great grandmother. Another couple there told me my GSD granddaughter was breed. I raised her mother 3 years ago. She goes for her ultra sound in a week or 2.

Oct 22, 2005, 12:30 PM
    Thanks I was told not to give him anything but bayer asprin only -- but he really doesn't complain? Well see, thanks again... Tom.. ( that kind of eased my worries)
    sbaase01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2009, 11:29 AM

Did you find out what was wrong with your GSD pup and his leg twitch? My Female GSD is almost 2 yrs old and I'm taking her to the vets in the morning for the same thing as you mentioned. Twitching of one leg when she lays down, couple kicks. Acts as if the leg fell asleep when she gets up. Now she is slightly limping. I'm very nervous but I will hopefully have answers tomorrow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Her past and mine... [ 14 Answers ]

Now what Im going to write I have cut short to save your eyes hurting apoligies if its still long... I have just turned 20 and basically I am in love for the first time and to be honest this is my first real relationship both physically and mentally, when I was 18 I did something I regret massively...

Help with in-law religion vs. Mine [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All, My name is Iris. I am new to the forum but am at my wits end here. I have lived very happily with my husband and 2 daughters for the past 10 years. Fights were rare and quickly over when they did happen. All of our friends have commented on how we never fight and when we did they were...

A friend of mine [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 27 years old stud lesbian.I'm in a relationship that I'm really not happy with.The female and I live together but I feel that we have no compatibilty with one another.So I've been having dreams about this female that is my friend and I think no I know that I'm very attracted to her.She's a Leo...

View more questions Search