Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsmith86 Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2005, 05:35 PM
    Overhead
    Can someone please help me with the following problem.
    -The Marcos company budgeted overhead at $240,000 for the period, based on a budgeted volume of 60,000 direct labor hours. At the end of the period, the factory overhead account had a debit balance of $260,000; actual direct labor hours were 63,000. What was overhead for the period?
    A. 12,000 overapplied
    B. 8,000 overapplied
    C. 8,000 underapplied
    D.12,000 underapplied

I know the answer has to be underapplied because there was a debit balance and because the actual factory overhead expenses were more than budgeted for the operating level achieved. Which means the answer has to be either C. or D.
    SSchultz0956 Posts: 121, Reputation: 10

Oct 19, 2005, 08:09 PM
    I think it's letter (d) because each hour of labor is worth 4 dollars and since they were over by 3000 hours they underapplied on 12000 dollars. I'm not positive this is correct though, so I'd double check it. The 26000 dollars let you know it's underapplied because it's a debit, and the 63000 tells you the unbedgeted hours of labor used, the 240000 and 60000 let you find the cost of labor per hour. This way you see why they stated these terms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overhead Variance [ 1 Answers ]

Company A uses a standard cost system. Overhead cost information for Product CO for the month of October follows: Total actual overhead incurred $14,750 Fixed overhead budgeted $ 1,800 Total Standard...

Replace overhead microwave [ 3 Answers ]

The microwave over my stove needs to be replaced. How do I remove this old microwave? It is a GE. I plan to replace with Whirlpool. Will I have any mounting problems with the new one?

Overhead lines [ 1 Answers ]

Can I run 2- 2/0s & 1- 1/0 on poles to feed a 200 amp load center?

Noise in pipes overhead? [ 1 Answers ]

About 9 months ago, we changed our old pipes to copper pipes throughout the house. Just recently, we hear funny noises when we turn on the shower in either bathroom. First we hear a tapping of the pipes, not too loud but enough and it sounds like it's coming from over our heads? Why is that?? ...

What Wire do I use for overhead outdoor use? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a detached garage about 150' from the main. I want to install a sub-panel in it. What kind of wire do I use to run it the same way it comes into the house (overhead). Does Home Depot sell it? I have two garages and have already run their #2 or #3 underground to it. But this one would...

View more questions Search