Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bignaked101 Posts: 151, Reputation: 6
    -

Oct 7, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Teen With Anxiety Disorder
    OK, so I am a teen (not old enough to be prescribed Alprazolam [xanax]) and I have a REAL bad case of anxiety disorder, now I have tried all the child anti-anxiety medication imaginable, and NOTHING! Breathing Into a bag does not help at all anymore, trying to relax does not work, all of the therapeutic things that I can do, DO NOT WORK AT ALL, pretty much anything my doctor can prescribe me does not work, and neither does the therapeutic things...

My Body is really mature for my age...

Is there any way possible a doctor in FL could prescribe me an ACTUAL anxiety disorder medication?
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 8, 2007, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bignaked101
    OK, so i am a teen (not old enough to be prescribed Alprazolam [xanax]) and i have a REAL bad case of anxiety disorder, now i have tried all the child anti-anxiety medication imaginable, and NOTHING! Breathing Into a bag does not help at all anymore, trying to relax does not work, all of the therapeutic things that i can do, DO NOT WORK AT ALL, pretty much anything my doctor can prescribe me does not work, and neither does the therapeutic things...

My Body is really mature for my age...

Is there any way possible a doctor in FL could prescribe me an ACTUAL anxiety disorder medication?
    Have you tried Jesus? Worry about life makes us sick people.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 01:36 PM
    First of all, please disregard the post above. This is not a solution to your problem, especially if you are not a religious person.

Now, for the real help. How long have you taken the meds? You do realize that it takes up to 6 weeks, sometimes longer, for the medications to become effective.

What medications have you tried?
    -

Oct 8, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Oh my gosh, I have tried so many, every one I have taken for 3 months or longer, the one I was on the longest was Zoloft, and now I am on Cymbalta None of these work!

And I am a really religious person, but I don't think that praying will make my anxiety attacks disappear...
    Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Have you discovered what makes you have an anxiety attack? Are you in therapy? Sometimes the medications do not work without therapy so that we learn coping skills when going through an attack.
    alexis_2009_detroit Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Don't listen to J_9. He hardly said anything anyway. Just relax and try not to panic about it please or you will have another anxiety attack!! Just go to your doctor and talk with him and see if he/she has a different medication for you to take. If not, then just try not to worry so much about life and things that do stress you out.
    Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alexis_2009_detroit
    dont listen to J_9. he hardly said anything anyway.
    **Cough cough** I am a she. I am a medical professional specializing in the field of mental health. I think I know quite a bit about medications as well as anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, etc. I need background before I can help.

If you want to challenge me, feel free to do so in another thread. Just don't steal this one.
    -

Oct 8, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Yes I am in therapy, there is a wide array of things that can trigger them, I have had one when my dog died when I was 9, and the thing that triggered the one last night was because my grandmother (she is raising me) fell into a coma.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Oct 8, 2007, 02:42 PM
    I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you what medication will work. I can tell you my story. I was depressed for 20 years, and suicidal. I was anxious about everything. Tried drugs to cure me and make me feel OK. Tried sex to make me feel better. Was on medications from the doctor. Nothing worked. One day I was so desperate that I cried out and asked God to kill me or get me out of the situation I was in. He chose to get me out. Through developing a relationship with Jesus I have an outlet for the fears and worries that try to consume me. This has not been a quick fix, but one that takes time and patience. My friend got the quick fix. She was so anxious all the time, but when she was baptized it went away immediately.
    Oh my gosh, i have tried so many, every one i have taken for 3 months or longer, the one i was on the longest was Zoloft, and now I am on Cymbalta None of these work!!

And i am a really religious person, but i don't think that praying will make my anxiety attacks disappear...
    Expert

Oct 8, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Sweetie, those circumstances will give ANYBODY an anxiety attack. This is normal. I am 43 and my father passed this summer, although I have learned to deal with my anxiety attacks, and no longer need medication, this caused me to have one too.

It's OKAY to freak out over circumstances like this. It's normal hun. What is NOT normal is like being in the grocery store and you can't breathe, you are going to have a heart attack, for NO reason.

You have reason hun.
    -

Oct 8, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Yes I know, but since my first one, with my dog dying, I have had them randomly...
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Yes i am in therapy, there is a wide array of things that can trigger them, i have had one when my dog died when i was 9, and the thing that triggered the one last night was because my grandmother (she is raising me) fell into a coma.
    It sounds like most of the situations that trigger your anxiety are things that would stress an average person. My guess is that you are so afraid to lose the things/people who are closest to you because of your past. It is normal to feel this way. I know... I am a grandmother who raised a grandchild who suffers from a similar disorder.

I think you should continue with your therapy and work on not so much STOPPING the anxiety, but on DEALING with it! With your therapist you can find new ways of identifying triggers, recognizing the potential for reaction, and coming up with a plan as to best deal with the anxiety in non-destructive ways. You will still feel anxious, hun, but you will channel it into more appropriate behaviours that won't be as frightening and harmful.

I also agree with J_9. Don't see these anxiety episodes as a failure of the medication. The medication is probably helping with the everyday anxieties, but these situations you described are huge, and it really is only natural that you would feel anxious under those circumstances.

Hugs, Didi
    -

Oct 8, 2007, 03:00 PM
    yes, maybe but dealing with it can be done...

they STILL come on though, like, not to be a pest, but can just get them randomly now, like my dog died, and now it's like a 2 or 3 times a week thing...
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 03:23 PM
    The thing is, that the more that you find ways to deal with them you will find that they will first decrease in intensity, then decrease in quantity. Speak to your therapist about this and see what they think!

Also, remember that some of the bigger stuff triggers the fears which lead to you having an increase in your attacks. Plus, the more you stress HAVING them, the more you will have. I also know, in many cases, that when you are on the verge of improving you can tend to have more attacks because you are dealing with the anxiety that causes the attacks. So, in a way, it's a positive thing (even though it makes you feel like crap! Hahaha!)

Why don't you print out the responses here and speak to your therapist about them. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Hugs, Didi
    -

Oct 8, 2007, 03:36 PM
    I definitely will! Thank you so much Didi!
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2007, 03:42 PM
    You are most welcome. I would love to hear what your therapist has to say.

Hugs, Didi
    -

Oct 8, 2007, 05:13 PM
    I will definitely tell you :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anxiety Over My Period [ 2 Answers ]

My 15th birthday is coming up in 2 days, and I'm planning to celebrate it by going to the waterpark with my friends. My period right now, however, is only finishing up it's third day, and I'm afraid I'll have to wear a tampon for the first time! My friends said that they cried when they first...

Which anxiety meds to use [ 1 Answers ]

I'm been having anxiety attacks especially while driving. I've been trying deal with my anxiety without medication, but the fight is getting harder. When I deal one symptom another one arises. So lately I've been taking xanax right before I due to drive home. Speaking with my doctor, she...

Separation anxiety [ 3 Answers ]

Last year we rescued an abandoned golden retriever. He is a terrible listener and so needy that drives you crazy. We give him lots of attention but now he became so attached to us that every time we let him out to go to the bathroom he thinks he is going to die because he is alone outside. We...

Anxiety (G.A.D), who is familiar with this. [ 4 Answers ]

25/f. So I've had 'anxiety' for about over 7 Years now. I've been off and on different medications. But over the past 3-4yrs I'm only on Klonopine and I'm just 'winging' myself off it. I'd rather not be on any medications. The severity of my anxiety is what bothers me. Because of the anxiety and/or...

Anxiety [ 2 Answers ]

Here I am at home again. I was invited to visit with a co-worker this weekend. I really want to go. I enjoy her company and we get along well at work. I didn't call. This happens all the time with me. There are so many things that I enjoy, people, church, friends, family, picnics, etc. At work, I...

View more questions Search