Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spd459 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Craftsman riding lawn mower blows fuses
    I have a 03 Craftsman 15.5 hp riding lawn mower. The 30amp fuse between the solenoid and ignition switch keeps blowing when I try to start it. I changed the solenoid and the fuse. My battery was low so I used an extra car battery to jump it. I turned the key and heard the fuse pop. I suspect the switch but not sure. If anyone can help me that would be great.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Are you sure you reconnected the wires correctly?

Oct 5, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Yes. Turns out the fuse blew before I even changed the solenoid. O chances are the first solenoid wasn't even bad. Thanks for the reply
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 06:45 AM
    If you are certain all the wires are connected correctly, and you were shooting fuses before the repairs. Then you need to trace the wires to search for a bare "naked" spot on a wire that is arcing against the frame somewhere. One place to look is on the right side of the frame (on the top side) over by where the deck height lever is located. To me it was a bad design on some of these units to run the wires UNDER the levers rod. To get there either remove the panel under the steering column (if applicable) or it may be easier to remove the fuel tank and or battery to gain access. If at first you can not hear or see the spark, wait until it is dark and try it. You should be able to see the spark at night.

Oct 7, 2007, 01:32 PM
    I have been going through the wiring and found one of the two relays and socket was burned. Do you feel that this is the cause or could there be another contributing factor that would cause it to burn? I really appreciate you help with this. I went through 10 fuses trying to see another arch somewhere else on the harness. I can get the starter to engage if I jumper the solenoid. I do have a spare relay socket from a car alarm install. They seem to be the same and the numbering (12vdc 30A) is the same also. So before I starting cutting I want your opinion about it.

Thanks again
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2007, 05:33 PM
    Yes, that could be the problem if it is burned.

Oct 9, 2007, 06:34 PM
    OK... good news. I found the problem. The stator diode broke then shorted. I removed the charging side of the diode and it did not pop the fuse. However. When I turn the key I hear a buzzing sound. What are the chances that the stator is damaged now? I am going to a authorized dealer to get a replacement diode. If I am missing something please let me know. Thanks again

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My tractor quit on me during my grass cutting. I have not been able to get it started. I've Changed the air filters, a new spark plug, a new solenoid, a new fuel filter, a new battery. When I put it on choke and try to start it, the engine turns but won't start. After that,all I hear is the...

Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower [ 2 Answers ]

My brother gave me his old lawn mower, and whenever I ask him a question about it, his response is "Figure it out Blondie". Im not a dumb blonde and Ive figured out most of the controls, excep two. One is a screw knob on the left hand side of the sterring wheel, and the other is a long metal stick...

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

Craftsman 14.5 hp riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

I bought it used it seemed OK,but now I have loss of power.I NOW have a brand new battery.What can I do to the engine or carburator to fix problem?How do I properly adjust carb?Should I overhaul the engine?I haven't found a rebuild kit for my B&S engine(14.5) Any help would be great.Somone told me...

View more questions Search