Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jameslrice Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 10:13 AM
    B Vent too close to framing?
    I recently had a new gas furnace installed (Carrier 58CVA090 Variable Speed Gas Furnace) and at that time the installers replaced the old exhaust vent with B Vent (this is the term they used). They also ran the exhaust from the gas hot water heater into this same vent. The vent goes thorough a brick wall into an exiting flue in a brick chimney.

At the time the basement was unfinished. However, I am planning on finishing most of it over this winter -- and I realized today that my current design has framing for a bathroom right up against the vent line... probably within 6 inches. It suddenly dawned on me that this could be a problem. Haha. I know I'm a little slow.

Are there any codes (or failing that, some guidelines) for how close framing can be to B Vent? If this is a problem, is the preferred solution it re-design my bathroom or can I have a different type of material used for the vent (or this section of the vent)?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 05:47 PM
    If you can, look on the vent for the manufacturer, then look up the specs on their website. American Vent, for example offers a 1" clearance, which is pretty much the industry standard. Be that as it may, find out who makes your vent and check directly with them. If you can't get any help there, perhaps you can call the installer and ask them.
    Good Luck
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2007, 09:40 PM
    1 inch from any combustible material.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 06:02 AM
    You can buy ''thimbles''. They are just a larger pipe with plates on the end. You install it over the B vent and then build the wall up to it. That maintains you 1''.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry Pump vent hookup. How? - no vent access [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Laundry Tray Pump System connected to my wash tub in my fifteen year old townhome's basement. I was recently informed that it was not properly installed because I never connected the vent pipe from the pump. I had some one look at it and was told that the house's vent system (which...

Distance from Tub/Lav vent to main vent. [ 1 Answers ]

Referring to the attached sketch, The existing sink drain has a vent that serves both it and the tub. When I relocate my sink, it adds about 4 more feet of length to the distance between the sink/tub vent and the main waste vent. This effectively makes it 10 feet. I believe this is likely too far...

Vent diagram - does this meet code (see pic)? Vent runs below actual drain [ 4 Answers ]

The schematic below should make it clear the configuration I would like to use. Basically, I would like to keep the vent under the floor for a little ways, so it pops up in a better location. I cannot easily move the 2" drain location going down and would rather not go straight up from the...

Connecting dryer vent to bathroom vent? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know if I can connect my dryer vent to my bathroom vent using a t-connection? Thanks Me

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

View more questions Search