Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Oct 14, 2005, 12:38 PM
    Breeding question
    I recently got a 5 month old black lab from a breeder. The breeder came recommended from a colleague that also got a lab from the same litter. Tiko which is my dog was pick of the litter by the breeder who kept him for his son to raise so he could use him as a stud later on. It so hhappened that the son had to move back in and they could not keep Tiko because of bylaws. We know have Tiko and were told by the breeder that if I don't get him nuetered he would want to breed Tiko when he is ready. Because he is a stud I woulndt have to worry about the litter and the expense and time that goes into it. I didn't get him to make $$$ of either. So my question is there anything wrong with using him as a stud? Also what are the pros/cons?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2005, 05:35 PM
    Has there been any discussion about OFA X-rays or CFR certification? Anybody that breeds a Lab without hip X-rays is an extremely low form of life. If his parents and grandparents were not OFA certified, you were cheated. I don't want to beat up you as a victim, but the breeder is coming across as a money grubbing low life. I may be going off without knowing the situation, but until I see some sign the breeder is interested in quality, the dog world may be better off without Tiko as a stud. Trouble is, if you don't cooperate, the breeder will go to his second or third choice.

5 months is much too early to select superior, quality breeding stock.
    aj55 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Oct 14, 2005, 05:50 PM
    He is registered with the CKC here in canada and we have all documentation regarding his parents/ grandparents. Hips/Eyes are all guaranteed till he is 2 yrs old. Just wondering if we should consider this option. We were always going to neuter our dog until he proposed this as an option.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2005, 07:49 PM
    That sounds a little better, but he still should be X-rayed himself at a year old. Also his health and temperament need to be good. It would be good to see some sort of indication of being above average at something.
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Oct 14, 2005, 09:12 PM
    Just a thought, but how do you know he won't be mating your dog with it's own mother/sister/cousin/niece or too close a relative? It sounds a little creepy from just what you've posted. If it were my dog, I'd get him neutered as he will make such a nicer pet - and that's what you were originally hoping for, right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat Breeding Question [ 7 Answers ]

I have a really weird question that I hope someone can help with. How long does a male have to be on the female in order to do his thing? How long should we leave the male and female together? Last but not least, when will we know that the female has been bred?

Breeding [ 7 Answers ]

If My Pitbull tied with my golden retriever and then the next day tied with a lab what would the pups be. Is it possible to have pups from both the GR and Lab?

Breeding Daschunds [ 1 Answers ]

I have a female and a male standard. I want to breed them, but I was told by the Vet that because they are in the same house together all the time she will not let him. It must be true, because she just sits down and will NOT. I am going to do it artificial. Can you tell me what the normal amount...

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

View more questions Search