Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msweeney1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 09:40 AM
    Puppy nipping other dogs
    My 9 week old puppy of course is teething and nipping when playing. But I get nervous when he's playing with other dogs and is jumping and play nipping at them. The other dogs will start to growl etc... What do I do? Should I pick him up and stop him or let the other dog tell him no. (The dogs I know, I want my puppy to play with are good dogs, but some I don't know at all if we are in public)I'm afraid he'll play nip 1 to many times to the wrong dog and get hurt!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Yes, you do want to be careful out in public. At 9 weeks, I would keep my puppy away from any dog that you don't know that it is up to date on shots. Even the best shot program leaves a window where your puppy is vulnerable to parvo and other life threatening diseases. See Canine Parvovirus, What you should know about

Many dogs past about 3 years old want nothing to do with puppies and their sharp little teeth. Many owners don't want their dogs to to do play fighting. Treat the older dog like the sofa cushion or other things the puppy shouldn't chew. As soon as the puppy focuses on the older dog, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' and offer it a chew toy. In a couple of weeks, we will be getting the fifth new puppy since old Aster came to live with us at 10 years old 4 years ago. We support her wanting to be left alone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

Why are my dogs scared of my new puppy? [ 1 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can advise me, I have 3 dogs and 2 weeks ago I got a puppy and all was going great but the past 2 days my older dogs have been hesitant in coming out of their crates and have had their tail's between their legs. I have taken them in the garden 1 by 1 with the puppy and they are...

Puppy barks and growls at other dogs what do I do about it [ 2 Answers ]

My puppy barks and growls at other dogs she gets along with our other puppy. We live in an apartment and when she is on the patio and another dog walks by she growls and barks and when we take her out for walks or to petsmart she does the same thing but she also tries to go at them. This happens...

View more questions Search