Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    windemere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 10:14 PM
    My toilet waste is backing up into the shower
    Help! My toilet was clogged but then I unclogged it with the plunger so I thought everything was OK. Then, later, I was running water in the bathroom sink and heard a glob glob sound from the shower. Then, to my horror, the dirty, smelly waste was coming up the shower drain! I went back to the toilet and it is again going down slowly but still goes down. But, dirty water comes up in the shower when I flush the toilet or run the sink water. I ran to the store and bought some Rotor Rooter Clog Remover that says it's safe for all plumbing. I used it but still have the problem. Then, I went back to the store and bought a snake but that didn't work either. Any ideas? I have very little money to work with at the moment. Thank You so very much.
    Bonnie
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Oct 3, 2007, 04:18 AM
    All the sewer lines are connected and leave the house at one point.
    So somewhere in this line there is a blockage.
    If you are on city sewers call them first and see if they have a program to clear the blockages.
    Every City has a different set of rules and charges. In my area the charge is about $300 if the blockage is on private property and free if its on the city side.
    Most plumbers should be able to clear the blockages and I have seen prices from $100 to $1000.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2007, 07:30 AM
    I disagree with Ken. This isn't a "whole house blockage" that would minvolve the city. This is confined to the bathroom drain. What you have done is to unclog your toilet only to send the clog farther on down the line where it now blocks the entire bathroom group. You have two options. You can pull the toilet and snake through the open closet bend or you can snake the line from the lavatory roof vent. If you do that, put out enough cable to reach the base and 20 feet more. Good luck, Tom
    SingleHomeOwner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 08:57 PM
    What if you did the dish soap and it doesn't seem to be working? I just have dish soap and more water backed up now...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet waste [ 2 Answers ]

I am putting in a new toilet connecting into original soil pipe,how much fall is required for the waste pipe?

Shower & toilet backing up [ 2 Answers ]

Toilet and shower in the master bedroom backing up

Toilet waste is backing up in bathroom sink [ 1 Answers ]

Aaargh, please help! I was advised to put some caustic soda through my sink and bath plug holes as they were slow to drain, which I did today, but when I came to flush it out the bath is fine but the bathroom sink wouldn't clear and instead back-filled to about 2 inches with toilet waste, which is...

Convert toilet waste to shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am buying a home where the master bath has his & her toilets. I want to remove one toilet and install a shower in this area. Since the toilet line is already vented, is there any problem with just removing the closet flange and adding a reducing coupler to the 3 or 4 inch wasteline to convert...

Toilet backing up into shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I have toilet paper and other lovely things coming into my shower and bathtub. The vent was checked on the roof as well as the pipe outside that we had to dig to get to. I thought I had fixed it when I just kept cleaning the stuff out of the shower after every flush and finally it was...

View more questions Search