Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paintinggordo Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Oct 1, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Do I need a license?
    If I have a two man painting crew and live in Columbia South Carolina, do I need to have a small painting business license? Also, if I charge by spuare foot, not by wall, what is a good decent price?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Oct 1, 2007, 08:25 AM
    You need more then a license. You also need liability insurance, you will need to register with the state as well as a few other things. I would recommend contacting your state to find out what the requirements are for a small business. Also check out your local Small Business Association (www.sba.gov) they are an amazing business resource for the small business owner. They has lists of what you need to be legal in your state. Best of luck to you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2007, 09:41 PM
    Around where I live, the going rate for two coats of paint is around .70 cents a square foot. That price would not include the paint product used. It also does not include applying a primer if it is needed.

You will want to charge significantly more if you have to do a lot of repair and if the surface area to be painted is not absolutely flat but textured.

To find out what painters are charging in your area, you might consider just calling around to see what others are charging. You don't have to tell them that you are also a painter. Just give them a hypothetical painting scenario. Room measures such-and-such and the walls are all flat, no repair, etc. You probably could also find out what the going rate around where you will be painting by asking someone at store that only sells paint products.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What license do I need [ 1 Answers ]

I Want To Open A Business Of Office Cleaning Services I Want To Know What License Do I Need And Were Do I Have To Go To Star My Business. Thank You

How to get a license [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, could anyone tell me where I can apply to get a license to buy freon? I heard there is a government site that you can request the material to take the test. Thanks, Dan:confused:

About license [ 2 Answers ]

I am a handyman and have been doing a little of everything for several years now. I would like to get an electricians license, but at this point in my life I can not afford to work for an electrician at starting wages. Is there any other path that I can take. Can you recommend any literature...

A license? [ 5 Answers ]

Do you need a license to drive a boat in the state of Massachusettes?

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search