Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trackrod1962 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Vanguard 16hp fuel starvation
    Hi I've got a problem with fuel starvation with my ride on mower only owned this machine 2 days collected it from last owner seen it running on day of purchase driving it into back of vehicle up some ramps mower cuts out will not start lift bonnet fuel level very low reach conclusion run out of fuel return home re fuel nothing remove carb blow through with airline nothing remove carb take out centre jet clean all holes including very small hole at the top re fit carb nothing take fuel line off connect airline to fuel intake pipe short burst on airline bingo it bursts into life then cuts out reconnect fuel line go for start again nothing there is a device fitted at the base of the carb with 2 wires 1 black 1 grey I guess this may be some kind of shut off device I connect a tester to the grey wire switch on ignition but tester does not light up remove carb again and the bowl is full of fuel so disregard faulty shut off valve as it has let fuel pass reconnect airline to inlet pipe and bingo first time again seems to be a gravity feed system so can't find a fuel pump numbers on engine are as follows model(280777)type(0677-e1)code(970929zd) hope you can help regards malc
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 07:29 PM
    The carb bowl can be full with the fuel solenoid not working. The solenoid simply shuts off the fuel flow through the center jet. Remove the wires and remove the solenoid from the bottom of the bowl,reconnect the wires, then hold it against the engine to ground it, and turn the key to the run position, if the solenoid is working the plunger will retract into the solenoid body, if not try to lube it and work it back and forth manually. Then retest.
    trackrod1962 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    the carb bowl can be full with the fuel solenoid not working. the solenoid simply shuts off the fuel flow through the center jet. remove the wires and remove the solenoid from the bottom of the bowl,reconnect the wires, then hold it against the engine to ground it, and turn the key to the run position, if the solenoid is working the plunger will retract into the solenoid body, if not try to lube it and work it back and forth manually. then retest.
    Finally sorted problem turned out to be electrical on the ignition side thus no power getting to solenoid repaired broken connection behind battery(due to battery being loose)started first time many thanks
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Great, I love it when a mower survives.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 16hp vanguard [ 11 Answers ]

I have a simplicity mower (1998) with a 16hp vertical shaft vanguard v-twin engine (303777 1111-51). Yesterday, after running the mower with turbo bagger attachment (a little extra load on the engine), for about 20 minutes, I idled back the engine and it began belching large clouds of blue/white...

B & S 16hp Vanguard [ 1 Answers ]

Need specs, mainly oil capacity.

16HP B&S Vanguard V Twin won't start [ 4 Answers ]

Hi My 16HP B&S Vanguard V Twin won't start. There was a thing with wires at the bottom of the carb, but when removing the carb to check for a blockage, the wire snapped off. However, this does not seem to prevent the float chamber filling with fuel. There is fuel being pumbed from the fuel pump...

Briggs & Stratton Vanguard 16HP OHV No Spark? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All, Seen several threads along this line but nothing that seems to help me. I have a Briggs & Stratton Model 303777 Vanguard (on a 1994 Snapper SR170 Rider). The engine turns over well, but will not start. I am not getting any "thump" when it turns. I am not hearing any clicking from the...

When does starvation/ mode kick in [ 1 Answers ]

So Im trying to maximize my excersize time and put off eating until after exercising. I don't want my body going into the starvation mode how do I balance this? I often get interupted after 15/ 20 of low impact and sometimes don't get to finish of big with some explosive weight lifting or...

View more questions Search