Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Sep 28, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Water heater shutoff valve choice
    When at my local big box hardware store, they've got tons of different types of shutoff valves. Some are called gate valve, others called waste or something similar to that, and ball (I think I can figure that one out), and the list goes on. I really can't remember the name. Anyway, is there a particular type that I need? For me, it seemed like anything that is a "straight through" valve should work right? By straight, I mean it doesn't have an elbow. Maybe I'm making it more complex that I need to. I did try to make sure it said it was for water.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 08:22 PM
    Look here:

Kitz brand valves - PlumbingSupply.com under sweat ball valves.

I like the ones at Lowe's better than HD.

You can get them with and without drain ports and those have to be installed in the intended direction. The drain ports are more useful for outside spigot shutoffs. With those, you can shut off the water, remove a small knerled nut and drain the water left in the line that was shut off.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Forget gate valves. New manufacturing techniques for ball valves made gate valves obsolete in the 70's. You would never know that looking at the big box stores. I guess angle globe valves may still have a place where they save an elbow and nipple. So choose a ball valve, threaded, sweat, solvent weld (plastic), or compression, what ever fits into your system and skills the best.

Above 2'', butterfly valves work well, especially with flanged joints.

Look for a valve rated for your application. Often you see 125 psi WOG. That means it is suitale to be used with water, oil, or gas at pressures not to exceed 125 psi. If your heating system is steam, look for an SP rating.
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Sep 29, 2007, 03:33 AM
    Ok, ball it is then. Good thing I asked since I got the gate type. Looking closely at the valve, not I get why it's called gate. Thanks.

Also, I noticed my old valve knob was blue, which typically in my mind means that it's cold water, which for my case, it is. All the valves I see now are red. Is that OK?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 05:52 AM
    I never paid much attention, I think the handle color is brand thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water shutoff valve? [ 14 Answers ]

Any reason to install, or not to install, a shut off valve in the hot water line at the water heater? Any safety concerns by shutting the hot water at the heater? I’ve seen several installations with shut offs in the hot supply, but the majority are without. Never could get a firm answer on the...

Outside water faucet shutoff valve [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved and cannot figure out how to shut off the outside water faucets. It's going to be 10 degrees tomorrow night so any help would be appreciated. THX

Water Shutoff Valve [ 1 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Quote: Originally Posted by Rowland Two Prob: 1) Indiviual water shutoffs not working in 36 year old home bathrooms/kitchen. Repair or replace? Are they repairable? 2) Dwelling/Home main shutoff in basement not...

Toilet Water Supply Shutoff Valve problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My problem is this; When I turn the toilet water supply valve I don't hear any water flow sound anymore, so the only way we can flush the toilet is to fill up a bucket with water and pour it down. Before we had the same problem but what we would have to do is turn on the faucet to the tub...

View more questions Search