Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 24, 2007, 11:18 PM
    Stomach muscles
    Is there any exercise that will help strengthen your tummy muscles?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 24, 2007, 11:26 PM
    Crunches, situps, even squats to an extent.
    Bocasean Posts: 147, Reputation: 20

Sep 25, 2007, 10:11 PM
    Your "tummy" muscles form the core of your body. They are arguably the most important muscle grouping of them all.

The simplest way to look at them is this:

Your abdominal muscles have 3 primary functions: To "crunch" the body (as in pull the chin closer to the belly button), to twist the body at the waist, and to stabilize the body as it does everything else.

So basically, while you're exercising you are using your tummy to "hold your body together" and keep it stable. This is what J_9 was talking about with squats. I've also found deadlifts to be of use in this regard.

When it comes to everything else you can do for exercising your tummy, remember that the abdomen has 2 other main functions. For my money, I focus on crunching the abdomen.

Just remember that if you're drawing your chin to your belly button, whether it's by doing a standard crunch or whatever, you're working your entire abdomen. It's an all-or-nothing response on a cellular level.

If you're bending at the waist, but your abdomen isn't crunching, then you're probably using your hip muscles as the prime mover, and the abdomen isn't getting the full results.

Chin to belly button = Good

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas, cramping to stomach muscles [ 3 Answers ]

Hi/ I have never had gas before, but I could not pass gas, a couple of days in a row I would pass gas by vomiting, no food comes out, just air. Now I have what feels like cramping of my abdominal muscle, close to the base of my penis. It feels like I need to pass bowels, but I do not. My bowels...

How to exercise my PC muscles ? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 28 years male married for 6 years... I want to exercise my PC muscles but the problem I can not separate my PC muscles from my anus I tried Kegel but he same problem when I squeeze my PC I squeeze my anus... Are there any other exercises that I can use for this subject maybe in gym or in...

Repairing muscles [ 8 Answers ]

How would I be able to stop my lef calf muscle from hurting constantly, I've either pulled it, bruised it or damaged it the pain is originating from about 3 inches under the knee cap, down the left side of my left leg

Muscles problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a little(hope) problem. Sometimes it's for a short time but sometimes it's taking longer time to get away of this pain. My muscle mostly on my feet it's blocking and I have a horrible pain and cannot move. What can cause this problems?

How to exercise my PC muscles ? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 28 years male married for 6 years... I want to exercise my PC muscles but the problem I can not separate my PC muscles from my anus I tried Kegel but he same problem when I squeeze my PC I squeeze my anus... Are there any other exercises that I can use for this subject maybe in gym or in...

View more questions Search