Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2011, 01:59 PM
    I've been away from here for a while and I've lost my EXPERT distinction. Still don't know if I'm returning actively or not. I still get emailed on previous threads. Some of the reasons I left were fixed, some not.

If only certain devices are a problem. On page 6 here: http://literature.rockwellautomation...d001_-en-p.pdf there is a schematic of a start/stop ckt. If you ignore the STOP and the O/L and make the Motor an outlet, you can put this circuit in an outlet strip or separate box with a power light. When the power drops out for about 20 mS or so, the outlet strip will stay off until reset. It requires a DPDT r120 VAC coil relay, a normally open push button and a pilot light if not present.

I would do this for devices with problems. I have placed this circuit in an outlet strip. I attached it to an auto answer modem. If I called a number and it didn't answer, we had a power failure.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2011, 03:08 PM

Don't know why you've been gone, hope you, family and friends are OK.
    A Cheap Digital clock can indicate and outage, a Motorized clock can let You know how long the outage was. Other digitals flash and show how long the power has be on from 12:00?
    nekojita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 09:59 PM
    I've been having this happen a lot in my house. I've lived here for 15 years, but it's only started happening in the last few years. There are four lights that are the ones that it happens to most. I live in a three story queen ann (built 1897). On the first floor there are two different lights in the kitchen that it happens. In the dinning room I have two cabinet lights that it happens to and also the half bath on the first floor. Usually I go to bed and find them on when I get up. Twice I've caught it happening. Once it was around midnight and the other time was around 9pm. They're different kinds of lights so I don't think it's an electrical issue. Also I have no kids or pets that can be doing it. It doesn't bother me, but it's a little shocking when it suddenly happens. I'd guess it's happened about a dozen or so times.

I don't know what it means and I try not to assume, but lol, friends who I've shared it with come to the same conclusion. What ever is doing it, it seems harmless so as long as nothing or no one starts turning the gas on the stove I'll just chalk it up to the joys of living in a really old house :-).
    Abbi-Anne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2013, 11:46 PM
    Last night I turned my light off before bed about 2am and when I woke up in the morning the light in my bedroom was on, I don't know how this happened and the day before my attic opened up by itself my family said it was the wind but I'm worried it might be something else! Please help me
    Bobcat2BC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2013, 04:39 PM
    I had my home up for sale for two years. Prior to moving out, I was always on my children about leaving the lights on. Once the home was empty we had a neighbor watching the home for us. We moved some 30 miles away. The neighbor worked with my husband and she would tell him when all or various lights were on in the house. We were certain someone was entering the home knowing nobody lived there, so we changed the locks. There were two keys one for my husband and one for myself. As time went on our neighbor would tell us the lights were on and sure enough the bathroom switch, which was not easy flipped on was in the up position. Soon when we would come the closet doors were open as well. My husband and I made sure every window was locked and that we vacuumed our footprints out of the door of the house. We said aloud to one another in each room, lights are off and closet doors are shut but sure enough the next day they would be open and at least one light switch was in the up position. Finally, I decided to put a poster in the window just about giving the home away, and it sold. We told everyone around us about the mystery. There was never any footprints or open windows or doors to every offer an explanation.
    epb712 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2013, 08:37 AM
    This has been happening to me. I was visiting my mother two weeks ago and 3 out of the 4 nights I stayed there I was woken up by a lamp turning on. Then yesterday, at an apartment that is across the country, my beside lamp turned on twice while I was sleeping. Both times I woke up and switched it off. But this seems a little weird that this has happened so 5 times in one month. I hope I'm not sleep walking, although that seems to be the most likely explanation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1994 MGM, Parking lights and side marker lights not working? [ 5 Answers ]

MY parking lights and side marker lights are not working, also my gauge lights are not working. When I press the brakes, all my lights work, my headlights also work and my turn signals and hazard lights turn on, but my inside gauge lights, side marker lights, and parking lights are not on. What...

Child turning 25 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a child turning 25 in April 2007, she is a full time student and lives at home. I know that insurance can only cover until she turns 25. I heard that once she turns 25 I cannot claim her as a dependent any longer as well. So, if I keep her on my insurance until she turns 25 in April am I...

TV keeps turning itself off - why? [ 8 Answers ]

I have had my TV for 3 years, over the last few days it turns itself off. This happens 2-3 times a day, about every 20mins or so. Is it telling me its on its last legs or does anyone think its worth repairing? Does anyone have any answers - caby2

Cooling but then turning off [ 6 Answers ]

We have a Carrier AC unit that is about 9 years old. If the unit has been off for a while and we turn it on it runs fine-both the fan and the outside unit. It cools the house and everything seems fine. Then at some point the outside unit stops while the fan inside is still blowing. I'll turn it...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

View more questions Search