Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RICKK1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 09:01 PM
    False teeth GAGGING too much to wear them
    I got my dentures a month or so ago, they look and fit great the problem is that I gag SOOO bad when I try to put them I only last 15 - 20 min. Could someone PLEASE help me to be able to wear my teeth all day.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Do you normally have a strong gag reflex?

Check with your dentist. I'm sure he/she has encountered this before and will have suggestions.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 03:23 AM
    Perhaps your dentist needs to adjust the acrylic at the very back of your denture.

Are you putting your dentures in as soon as you get up in the morning? Maybe you need to be up and about for a bit before putting them in. I know a lot of people are really gaggy when they first get up.

Do you only gag when inserting them and not once they are in? You could try to put a small amount of Orajel at the back of the denture... it might help numb your gag reflex.

I still think you should see the dentist/denturist who made them for you.
    brashj54 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Oct 14, 2007, 01:28 PM
    There are some other things you can do, spritz your mouth and back of your throat with a little Clhoriseptic Spray. Ask your Dr. or Dentist for Magic Mouth wash, it has a numbing effect, and is very good for the health of your gums. It is a concoction that your Pharmacist has to make, but it exist. And like the other post said take a Q-tip and swab the back of your throat as far back as you can take it without gagging yourself with Ambesol or Oragel. It is also safe to use some Ambesol by applying it to a Q-tip and go around the edges of the upper and lower denture after you get them glues in place, I have been told this is safe to use daily in moderation, will make them a little more comfortable. What can I say dentures are hell and no one deserves to have to endure them.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2007, 03:31 PM
    As with the above,the plate is probably a little thick in the back,and possibly long too,It takes time to adjust your tongue to the newness of having a plate there,but excessive gagging can be addressed by the dentist.

I have had mine for 1-2 years now,some adjustments were a year in the making(as time wears on and the palate gets ridged enough,etc)

It does get better,hang in there,

Ken

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog gagging/renching [ 2 Answers ]

I hope someone can help. My dog is a Kuvasz and he's 11 years old. Just recently he's been making a gagging/renching noise once he finishes taking a drink of water. I brought him to my Vet. And the Doctor felt that because he was getting older his mucus ("like older people mucus" quoted by the...

My lab is gagging/renching recently. [ 7 Answers ]

Hope someone can answer this. I have a 10 month old Lab who is active & a okay eater. The last 2 days, he has been gagging/renching like something's caught in his throat. It sounds like he is going to throw up but nothing is coming out. Once, he gagged so much that a clear liquid came up but...

False Teeth [ 2 Answers ]

My father in law got immedupper. Dentures in April 05. He had server perio like 12mm pockets. He had a lot of bone loss and lot of his teeth were moveable. He had problems on and on and in Nov 05 he had them reline. When he left that day he said they were fine and that he could eat with them. Well...

Pomeranian gagging [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a female pomeranian that has been gagging very hard all day long and I was just wondering What could cause this and what I can do about it... Thanks, :) :)

Gagging/phlegm [ 1 Answers ]

My 13 month old NSDT Retriever was gagging up phlegm (not his food) throughout the night (Saturday). We are at the lake and do not have close access to a vet. I carefully felt down his throat to see if anything was/is stuck and could not feel anything but he did have a lot more plegm in his...

View more questions Search