Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creplady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Correct depth to bury an electric extension cord
    Hi:

I would like to bury an electric extension cord that will run about 40 feet from my house to a gazebo. I don't want to hard wire the connection, for a variety of reasons. The primary use will be decorative lights.

My thought is to run the extension cord through a 2 in. pvc pipe, or a flexible conduit, and I need to know how deep I should bury the cord/conduit. Based on a similar question re: hardwiring for a watergarden pump, it appears that 12" to 24" would be the right depth. Can anyone confirm this for me, please?

Many thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 09:00 AM
    There is no approved method of burying an "extension card".
    An extension card is not to be used for a permement install.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 06:59 PM
    As answered by Fr. Chuck, you should scrap your idea, now.

What you can do however is use Romex - underground wire (Gray wire). It is much easier to use and does not require the use of conduit. If you have the space on your panel box for another breaker, I would pull your line from the panel to its destination. If you don't like sticking your hands inside the panel box, I would strongly suggest that you get an electrician. Most, I suspect, would either have a ditch witch to dig the trench or can easily rent one for the job.

The trenching should be about 24" deep for a cable that is not inside conduit. At the end of the conduit you must use a water tight junction box and all connections must be inside of junction boxes and easily accessible.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:35 AM
    Absolutely correct, extension cord is not allowed as a permanent installation.

"Romex' is incorrect word, as "Romex" cable is a trade name and technically is NM-B cable and is only rated for dry locations indoors.

The proper term for underground cable is "UF", which stands for Underground Feeder. This cable can be buried directly into earth and does not need conduit. If sleeved in conduit, the conduit will need to be of sufficient size to prevent damage to the cable while pulling.

The confusing thing is Romex looks similar to UF cable.

Accuracy is key here.
    TOOL_5150 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 01:38 AM
    Extension cords are for "temporary use only" The NEC defines temporary as used for no more than 90 days. Using cords on the ground, not buried, for pumps, holiday lights for no more than 90 days is fine. To answer your question about bury depth of PVC, it is 18" from top of pipe to grade level. I do not recommend you pull an extension cord through it as every conduit will gather water - no matter what. So lets say you pull the cord through, there is water in the pipe which makes the female end drenched with water, you plug it in and could get shocked. You should either use the cord on the ground or consult an electrician to make the installation perminant.
    ~Matt
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 07:29 AM
    TK - My bad!

I apologize for the misuse of the trade name Romex. I realize it is just like saying Kleenex when you really mean tissue.

Question, if you are using conduit, the depth is 18 inches? If you are using UF cable alone, then the depth should be 24 inches, correct?
    TOOL_5150 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 01:41 PM
    The correct burial depth for UF [the grey stuff] is 24 inches.

~matt
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2007, 01:51 PM
    There are various depths based on conditions.

If the circuit is no more than a 20 amp 120 volt circuit, and protected with a GFI breaker, the cable can be 12 inches deep.

If the circuit is more than 20 amp or 120 volt, or not GFI protected, and is residential one or two family dwelling, it needs to be 18 inch deep.

If not residential, then 24 inch is the correct answer.

This is all found in the NEC 2005 Table 300.5.

See NFPA 70: National Electrical Code®

Found in the Read this First sticky note of the electrical forum. There you will find instructions of how to get to read the actual document.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

15 amp extension cord to plug in 20 amp equipment? [ 22 Answers ]

I need to know if I can convert a 15 amp extension cord to plug in 20 amp equipment (temporary). The plug on the equipment has one fin turned perpendicular to the other. Is there an adapter for this?

How do I properly bury unused elcectic wire? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am remodeling my bathroom. The original heating had electric baseboard. The new heating installed years ago is now oil fired forced hot air. I removed the old electric baseboard and now have an unused wire. What is the safest way of burying this wire? Thanks, Kevin

Using a Zydas 1211b USB adapter with a USB Extension cord. [ 12 Answers ]

I just bought a Zydas 1211B USB WiFi adapter,but it came with no cord.It works fine when plugged directly into my laptop,but when I plug it into a 5ft usb extension cord Windows recognizes it,but I can pick up no signals that I normally can.Occasionally Windows acts reluctant to recognize it,any...

Matching up the correct capacitor with the correct condenser fan motor? [ 4 Answers ]

How crucial is it to match the right capacitor to the right condenser fan motor? If you have the wrong capacitor, can this cause the motor to stop after running for a while, say 20 or 40 minutes? It would start up again, but would allways stop. The specs for the motor are: Emerson E-line, model no...

Gauge extension cord can I use as a temporary 'fix' to plug in my washer? [ 3 Answers ]

The outlet my washing machine should be plugged into at the moment does not work. I need to do laundry, so what gauge extension cord can I use to plug it into another, temporary, outlet until an electrician can fix the outlet?

View more questions Search