Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patty4023 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Dachshund that chews
    I have a 8 month old Dachshund that chews on everything, he has chewed every blanket and rug in our home. Any suggestions on how to stop the chewing. I have tried spraying the bitter spray, with no luck.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Well if he chews on everything, it makes it a bit problematic to tell you to remove the things he chews on. As long as these things have yours or another family member's smell on them, it is one of those temptations that is hard for a young dog to resist. I would buy a couple of small kongs (you can find them in any pet store or Walmarts -- they are tough chew toys with a "treat hole"), put some peanut butter & small treats in them. When the dog starts chewing on anything you don't want him to chew on, immediately say "ah ah ah" in a short but firm staccato voice to get his attention, get him to follow you, and hand him the kong to chew on. When he chews on that, praise him and tell him "good boy." The objective is to redirect the negative behavior in a positive way, onto something that belongs to him. You can also use any toys you already have. When he chews on the wrong thing, say "ah ah ah" and hand him his toy to chew on. You are training him to only chew on things that belong to him. You have to watch him very closely and immediately correct when he begins chewing on the wrong thing. Consistency in correction is the key to getting him to make the connection. If you are continuing to have problems, it might be a leadership problem. Your dog might believe he is in charge. Labman has some very good information regarding establishing your Alpha position. He isn't around for a couple of days, so I am sure he won't mind me posting his info for you.

Quote Originally Posted by labman
    The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Yes. It is a matter of doing as RubyPitbull said when you are watching it, and crating it when you can't watch it. Use closed doors, gates,etc. to keep it in the same room as you. I sometime tie a puppy to the computer desk.

For more on the use of crates, see https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802
    daffy47 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 01:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by patty4023
    I have a 8 month old Dachshund that chews on everything, he has chewed every blanket and rug in our home. Any suggestions on how to stop the chewing. I have tried spraying the bitter spray, with no luck.
    Young pups get irritation in their teeth.its normal for them to chew upon blankets n clothes.try using a chew bone and till my pup didn't grow monster teeth I used to stick my thumb in and she did fine.it is like finger-licking babies... goes off with age

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog chews her toes [ 10 Answers ]

Lately I've noticed that my female dog has started chewing on her toes. She acts like they itch. She hasn't rubbed off any fur or anything. There are no sores or anything like that but she chews on them a lot. Anyone have any ideas?

Dachshund [ 1 Answers ]

Last week my dog got sick with this rare hemalitic anemia sorry not sure how to spell it .the problem is that we tried to save him with blood transfusions and medicine he never made it out of the hospital 4 days of work on him the only thing they said that something triggered it off . Not sure what...

Dog chews rocks [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 month old lab who loves to chew on rocks, we have bought him every chew toy possible but he loves to bring in rocks from outside. Should I allow this? Is chewing on rocks bad for him? Any help is appreciated.

Dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I Have Been Taking Care Of My Brother-in-laws Two Mini Dachshunds Since He Was Called Up (army) About A Year Ago, One Of Them Has Become Very Aggressive About Everything Space, Toys, Bones, My Daughter, But I'm The One Who Does For Them, But He Sleeps With My Daughter Why Would He Start...

Dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I just adopted a 5 year old miniature dachshund. I have noticed that she has not been eating very much. She goes over to her food dish, puts her nose down into it and pushes the food around. What does that mean?

View more questions Search