Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jen9907 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 10:33 PM
    My cat has been in labor over an hour no kittens yet.
    My cat has been in labor for about an hour and a half. She has been bleeding the entire time as well. Is she OK or is there something wrong? If there is something wrong what do I do? There are not any 24 hour vets around me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 10:39 PM
    Is this her first litter?

I found this on a cat site:

Length of Time for the Total Birth Process

In general, it may take up to six hours for a queen to give birth to all her kittens. The first kitten should arrive within an hour of the start of active labor, and subsequent kittens will take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. She will rest for 15 minutes or so between kittens, and during this time she should be allowed to nurse and clean the kittens that have been born. If you have been keeping the kittens in another box, move them back with the mother cat and help them find a nipple. This is also a good time for you to offer her food or a sip of KMR or plain, unflavored yoghurt. Although in rare cases a healthy kitten is born after the seven hour period, you should take the queen and her kittens to the vet for a checkup once seven hours passes and you are sure there are other kittens inside.

Summary of Potential Problems During Labor

* Extended Contractions without Birth
    More than one hour of strong contractions indicates a veterinary emergency, and your cat should be seen by a vet immediately. Take her and any kittens to your vet.
    sevvy661 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2007, 11:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jen9907
    My cat has been in labor for about an hour and a half. She has been bleeding the entire time as well. Is she ok or is there something wrong? If there is something wrong what do I do? There are not any 24 hour vets around me.
    Mi cat did the same thing! The best thing to do is just relax...

~sevvy~

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

24 hours in labor, no kittens! [ 1 Answers ]

My cat started showing signs of labor yesterday morning almost 24 hours ago. She had a bloody mucus discharge and was obviously having contractions. Even at 10 pm last night she was howling and screaming, we have a futon type sofa that the cats like to lie under. She had been going there all day...

LOOK is my cat in labor [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my 7 weeks pregnant cat had a huge belly but now it looks as if the belly has shrunk, you can still see the kittens moving and she has been panting on and of for two days now, she has started nesting and keeps squatting is labor soon? Help

My cat is in labor [ 1 Answers ]

My cat had one kitten last night around 12:30 am, we left her to have them and went to bed, she still only has one kitten, and it's 8:21 am.. it feels like there are more kittens in her, and we don't know what to do? It seems like they should all be born by now. Can we help her? We can feel other...

View more questions Search