Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sacramento Posts: 163, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Yardman Riding Mower won't start!
    The following is my sad tale of woe: we got an MTD Yardman 12.5 HP riding mower about three years ago (used) and it always worked like a charm! In August, we transported it, on a pickup truck with ramps, to our new home! Since that day, it absolutely will not start. We have gotten a new battery, new starter, new ignition lock and replaced a blown fuse, all to no avail. Still won't start! Where do we go from here and please explain explicitly what we should do now, short of shooting the darn thing! Thanks for your help.
    By the way, the wheels spin when the tractor is on a jack but not on the ground. Also, I forgot to mention that the engine won't even crank. It is simply dead!! Please help as the grass is getting awfully high and a walk behind mower won't do the job that needs to be done!
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 05:49 PM
    What about the solenoid, and re check your fuse, then get back with me.

Sep 13, 2007, 01:25 PM
    I really wanted to write and tell you that you are a genius and everything is okay. Unfortunately, that is not the way it worked out. We got a new solenoid which my husband promptly installed and... nothing! The motor will not turn over and the lights won't go on, etc. etc. etc. In other words, the tractor is still totally dead. Where do we go from here? My husband says he can't imagine what else he should replace. Please help!

Sep 14, 2007, 12:07 PM
    First, I would like to correct "Yardman" to "YARD MACHINE". I don't know if that makes a difference, but there it is! Secondly, the owner's manual says that there are four safety switches but no illustration or exact location. So, my question is: what do they look like and where can I find them? Thanks for your help.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sacramento
    First, I would like to correct "Yardman" to "YARD MACHINE". I don't know if that makes a difference, but there it is! Secondly, the owner's manual says that there are four safety switches but no illustration or exact location. So, my question is: what do they look like and where can I find them? Thanks for your help.
    Yard man, and yard machine is both products of mtd. Now then as for the safety switches, there will be one for the clutch/brake pedal, one for the blade engagement, one for the neutral position, and one for the seat. The first three will be found underneath the frame of the unit. The seat switch is located under the seat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mtd yardman 16.5hp mower will not start [ 41 Answers ]

I just brought home a used, but in very good shape, MTD yardman mower. It has the 16.5 hp Briggs mower with the 7-speed shift on the go tranny. It also is the industrial/commercial model. For some reason, the thing will not crank. The engine will spin and gas will go to the carb, but it acts...

Riding mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

My John Deere riding mower won't start. I replaced the battery and it started. I turned off the tractor and tried to start again and it failed. How can one tell if the problem is the starter or the solenoid? :)

My riding mower will not start [ 1 Answers ]

I have basically given it a tune up... I have change the gas filter, changed the spark plug and the air filter doesn't appear to need to be changed. The battery turns over real good but it will not start, it appears to not be getting gas. Also I checked the fuse and it appears to be okay also. ...

Scott's Riding Mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Scott's riding lawn mower, model # 25545036315, 25hp, 54"cut. This mower is absoutely DEAD. No power, nothing comes on, etc. It has been sitting for a year and was fine when it was parked at the end of the season in 2006. I have checked all wiring, all connections, spark plug, etc. ...

Riding mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I started the mower, MTD Yardman 17.5 hp B&S, cut the lawn and put it away. I tried to start it a couple days later and it wouldn't start. I did not even get a "click" from the starter solenoid. I was able to jump start it with a portable jump pack. After turning it off it would not start. I...

View more questions Search