Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ann thompson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Statue of limitations regarding physical abuse
    I was physically abused in 2003 , I agreed to pay my exhusband for fixing up the family home. He hit me and injured my hands I now want to deduct my surgeries from what I owe him,is that possible?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 02:47 AM
    I don't know that it is possible. The laws concerning statute of limitations will vary depending on where you live. It would help to know where this case would be happening in order for people to provide you with the best answer possible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 03:48 AM
    Normally one does not just "deduct" things from a court ordered payment, since you would have to prove in court that things were paid.
    If he would sign an agreement to have this deducted or if you get a court order. Your first step will be to get a law suit against him for the damages. Assuming you filed a police report this should not be an issue, if you did not file a police report, and if you did not tell the doctor the cause ofyour injury ( or even worst lie to the doctor as to what caused the injury) this can all hurt a chance of a law suit now.

You will be getting close to SOL dates in some areas, so you need to get an attorney asap.
    ann thompson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    I don't know that it is possible. The laws concerning statute of limitations will vary depending on where you live. It would help to know where this case would be happening in order for people to provide you with the best answer possible.

I appreciate the information you all have sent. I live in Texas and there was a police report filed. I don't think I even mentioned to my Dr. what happened, I was just so glad to be out of the relationship. I had one hand operated on about 5 months after I moved out of the home.

Thanks, Ann

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Information about other than physical abuse [ 5 Answers ]

I do not know if this is criminal law. I would like to know if there is any justice for a person who has been emotionally, mentally, and sexually abused. The only evidence I have at the moment is another person who can testify to the same abuse and maybe a relative of hers. Mental abuse and the...

Statue of limitations [ 23 Answers ]

We had a 2nd mortgage on our property that was discharged dec 2004, and now the person has got a certificate pending litigation filed and statement of claim filed as of July 2007. We are representing ourselves and I think it fall outside the statue of limitations. I also think that a discharged...

Statue of Limitations [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently doing a little research for something I'm writing and am trying to make sure I have the proper information. I tried looking it up myself, but I ended up getting confused and finding conflicting information. What is the statue of limitations for breaking in entering without the...

Statue of limitations [ 7 Answers ]

Does anyone know how long it take for a bench warrant in British columbia to dissapear:confused:

Statue of limitations [ 2 Answers ]

Have an old debt owing to a city for a speeding ticket, 17 years ago. Does statue of limitations take affect?

View more questions Search