Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ezan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 07:34 PM
    Methane smell in basement
    We recently purchased a home with a finished basement. When we had the home inspected, we noticed a methane smell coming from the laundry room. As part of the inspection report, we asked that the sellers determine the cause of the smell and take care of it. When we did the walk through, we noticed that the smell was still there. We ran the water in the utility sink and the washing machine. However, the smell did not dissipate. We decided to purchase the home with the proviso that money be escrowed to deal with this problem. Our plumber came to the house and all simply attempts to solve this problem, have failed:we checked the line that connects to the sewer and the cap seems to be tight; we plugged the utility sink but the smell remained; and, finally, we covered the area in the wall where the water shut-off is located andnothing happened. We are starting to think that we will have to tear apart the laundry room wall to see of the contractor installed a p-trap for the washer. Before we take this drastic step, any advice?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 12, 2007, 07:23 AM
    "We are starting to think that we will have to tear apart the laundry room wall to see of the contractor installed a p-trap for the washer. Before we take this drastic step, any advice?"

To check for a washer trap run a stick down the washer standpipe and if it comes back with a few inches of water on the end you have a trap down there. A more likely spot to check is the floor drain. If it's not going to be used pour a pint of motor oil down the floor drain to fill the trap so it doesn't evaporate away. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement drain smell [ 3 Answers ]

I own an old house (1910) in downtown Indianapolis. I don't think I have a septic system, I think my pipes run to the city sewage. The drain in my unfinished basement (where my A/C condensation drains to) smells horrible! It has a bit of standing water in it but never overflows. Now my first...

Methane/sulfur smell near shower [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased our house about a year ago and since we have moved in we have had a sulfur "rotten egg" smell in the shower of one bathroom. All other areas are fine. We turned up the hot water heater temperature and that helped although it is still there. In the last few weeks I have noticed...

Methane Smell in Shower [ 1 Answers ]

My bathroom smells like methane almost all the time now and I finally realized it is coming from the shower, not the toilet where I originally thought it was coming from. Our downstairs shower smells the same methane smell just a little from time to time, but our apartment next door (that we rent)...

Smell in basement [ 2 Answers ]

Every now and then I get a spetic smell in my basement. It is really bad after heavy rains. I have well water and get my septoic system pumped annually. Any ideas on what may be causing this odor and what I can do to correct the problem? It doesn't smell all the time but when it does its pretty...

Septic smell in basement [ 7 Answers ]

I've been reading many Q&As bbout septic smells and none seem to fit our problem. This house has a 4 year old system with a pump in a chamber in the ground. It was pumped 6 months ago, there are only two of us living here, no unused drains (dry trap), and no basement drains. The smell seems to come...

View more questions Search