Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cathy23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Child support
    Hello everyone.. well I'm new to this and see there lots of advise on many subject. I very confusing about my boyfriend situation so I wonder if anyone could help me with this. My boyfriend had a son which he didn't sign the birth certicate but he got half of custody order, can the other parent file child support on him or could he file against her?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Hello Cathy:

Yes. Both of them can file for anything they want. However, usually the custodial parent gets child support.

excon
    endlessecho Posts: 121, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 10:10 AM
    excon is right. Whoever has the majority of the custody or is considered the custodial parent will be the one who gets paid child support.
    Cathy23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Cathy:

Yes. Both of them can file for anything they want. However, usually the custodial parent gets child support.

excon
    What if they both had join pirmary custody like he had his son for one week and she had the other week, so they no need of child support involved is that true. If they had equal percent of visition who could file child support?
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Sep 15, 2007, 10:04 PM
    Actually even in even split custody situations child support can be ordered. It is typically ordered for the higher earner to pay child support. So, yes it is possible and either could file in that situation but it wouldn't seem that the higher earning parent would want to be the one to file as they would most likely be the one ordered to pay the support.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Whichever parent the child primarily resides with is the one entitled to child support. The amount can be prorated to allow for time spent with the other parent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SSI benefits and Child Support for Adult Child. [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know if a parent can still be obligated to pay child support to a severely disabled adult child for the life of the child? (even if the child is receiving state benefits) we are in Cali...

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Give up rights to a child--still pay child support? [ 11 Answers ]

I live in Florida and have a question about giving up the rights to a child that has been determined by DNA testing. If rights are given up, does that parent still have to pay child support?

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

View more questions Search