Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    faisalmahadi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Please help!! Comparison
    Comparison between auto_recloser and isolator.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 02:15 PM
    A recloser is an automatic switching device that is a short circuit protection device that if activated by a short, will open similar to a circuit breaker, stay open for a predetermined amount of time, and close again, attempting to re-energize a circuit.

These are popular with high voltage utility circuits. If, for example, a tree branch crosses two HV aerial lines and short the line, the thinking is the branch kept falling and the line is cleared, so the recloser will re-energize the circuit, and keep power outages to a minimum.

If the branch is still there, the recloser will open again. Most systems will attempt to re-close three times. After that, if the short still exists, the device will lock open and leave the circuit dead until a lineman can arrive.

This also works well with animals such as squirrels, etc.

Ever notice that sometimes when the lights go out they blink three times?

This is one reason to never, never, never go near any downed power lines, as while at first the line may be dead, there may be a recloser upstream that will re-energize the line, and if your touching the line, poof, no more hand, arm, life, etc.

An isolator is a simple switching device, may be an overcurrent device or a manual device, that once opened will remain open to isolate the circuit.

Sep 12, 2007, 06:19 AM
    Please help!! (Advantage and disadvantage of auto_recloser)
    Advantage and disadvantage of auto_recloser.

Sep 12, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Please Help!! (Advantage and disadvantage of HV Isolator)
    Advantage and disadvantage of HV Isolator.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2007, 02:04 PM
    I have combined all the similar questions from the same person into one post.

These questions are beginning to sound like an engineering exam.

May I ask the reason for these questions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1990 dollar comparison? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where to find a table that includes a comparison of 1990 dollars with 2007 dollars? I.e., "$10k in 1990 dollars is equivalent to $___ in 2007 dollars?"

Processor Comparison [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process purchasing a laptop computer. There are many processors to choose from these days and I was hoping someone could enlighten me about the differences in the many styles/brands of processors currently offered for these computers. I have always preferred Pentium 4 processors. ...

View more questions Search