Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fare414 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Waste Flange (top) to floor distance
    I just repaired a bathroom floor in this 1927 house. The house flooring has sagged. In the repair I took off about 2 1/2 inches of old floor and scabbed on reinforcing 2 x 8's to the weak lumber. Now the floor is very nice and strong (I used 3/4" treated plywood). My problem is that the top of the waste flange measures about 2" higher than the floor. I do not want to add 1 1/2 to 2" of flooring to get the height I need. I thought of building a 'platform' to mate up with the existing iron waste flange. What should my floor be in relation to the top of the flange - what distance? Thank you.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Sep 9, 2007, 10:27 AM
    I would expect, in a house that age, the waste flange is created by a lead pipe extended from a cast iron hub. Usually, there is a steel ring that was screwed to the floor, and the lead pipe was flared out to meet the ring.

If this is the case, and there is enough lead pipe in the leader, you might be able to carefully slide the ring (or a replacement ring, if it is bad shape) down to the new floor surface, and using a hammer, re-flare the lead pipe back to meet the ring.

Take a close look at what you have sticking up from the floor, and let us know. If you have a digital camera, you can take a pic and post it on here for us to look at.

Hope this helps,

Stew
    fare414 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Thank you. I'll get a picture tomorrow and get it off to you. Ron S

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What height should the Closet Flange Extension be, from the top of the tile/floor? [ 5 Answers ]

I got a “Closet Flange Extension Kit” from Home Depot and it has 2 rings. One is ¼ inch and the other is a ½ inch; so basically I want to know which one to use. The current/original flange that is installed on the sub-floor is level with the top of the tile. The tile is just that 12” square...

Connecting second floor waste to main waste stack? [ 3 Answers ]

I have new new modular cape that had the first floor plumbing complete, and the second floor stubbed, and want to know the right way to connect the second floor waste drain which was installed in the house, to the main waste drain. The main waste drain comes up verically from the basement floor...

Indirect waste to floor drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a large mostly glass, indoor garden room and would like to add a basin of some sort to soak plants, water orchids (most of the water drains off), etc. I have easy access to a water supply but no drain. Directly below the garden room is the boiler and hot water tank on a concrete floor with...

Waste pipe in concrete floor [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new home that we have a spare bathroom that was rouged in. The home is slab construction with no basement due to the geology/hydrology in our area. The question I have is this: I have a waste pipe for a future toilet sticking up out of the floor. It looks like it's made of lead. Is...

View more questions Search