Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marty555 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2007, 07:44 AM
    New Compressor goes on, shuts off immediately
    I have a Trane EX1000 unit, compressor burnt up a few days ago. It just suddenly stopped being cool here, we were right into a 30 day plus run of over 90 temps. Unit has been cleaned, tech relaced a thermal expansion valve and installed new compressor. Compressor now will come on and then immediately shut down again. Tech spent 8 hours on this and still cannot locate the problem. Any suggestions or should I just give the unit up for dead.
    Tech said head pressure is building too high, not equalizing.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:21 PM
    This may be a defective reversing valve, I have seen the same thing happen and after replacing the valve I found that the slide inside the reversing valve had rolled over inside the body and actually blocked all ports.
    Other then this I would be sure that the system is not overcharged and possible plugged drier, don't give up, lets get her going, Mike

Sep 12, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Hi Mike,
    He replaced a valve maybe it was the reversing valve. I will ask today. That cured it and all became chilled again, all night, next part of day. Turned it off when it got too cool and now the house is sweating again when I tried to turn it back on. Fan came on, outside unit is sounding fine but no more cold air. Am watching the temp rise inside. He's coming again today, poor guy. It was nice while it lasted. LOL I'm coming to Ca. You can have this Tennessee heat. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to respond. I think you are onto something. Will report back after he leaves... c'mon October. *sigh* You techs don't get paid near enough, I think.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Thanks for responding, I would like to hear what he finds, Mike.

Sep 12, 2007, 04:53 PM
    Now he is saying the windings inside the compressor are not dropping. And, due to backward wiring on a Trane unit, it causes the compressor to stop. Said the compressor is faulty and has to be replaced but I just went out and followed another pointer from this board and picked up the whole unit about 3 inches and let it drop and repeat. It jolted it right into working again. So, now we have AC and tech friend is replacing compressor again tomorrow. He said he has never seen this problem from a compressor.
    OK, you keep telling me what you know and whenever you want to build a cabin or set up a racecar, I'm right there in return. A big thank you, Sir.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Backward winding of Trane compressor, (must be a code for I don't have a clue)If you were able to get it going by dropping it ,then it was probably locked up( a term we in the trade use meaning that it won't run, just mechanically stuck) we would normally install a start kit( SSP5) on the compressor to give it a boost for a split second to get it rolling. These kits are very easy to install nowadays, only two wires to the run capacitor. This SSP5 is a start capacitor with a built in solid state relay, one size fits all. (1-5 ton).
    Good luck, Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compressor motor shuts off. [ 1 Answers ]

The compressor motor stopped running,(I was told it was bad) so I replaced it. When I started the unit back up it ran for a few minutes, but when the compressor tried to kick in it shuts off. I tried it several times but whenever the compressor tries to kick in it keeps shutting off. They gave me a...

Toilet not refilling immediately [ 2 Answers ]

What would cause my toilet to NOT refil immediately after flushing? It normally takes 2 minutes afterwards. Enough time to wash your hands, leave the bathroom, sit on the couch, and then would you hear the toilet start to refill. With seven in our house, and only two toilets, I need to correct...

I need to know immediately [ 1 Answers ]

I am 16 years old. I live in TN. I am 8 months pregnant. My mom lives in an unstable home. I think that is very unsafe. My mom recently just got robed at gun point. My dad just got married 4 months ago and his wife dosent want me around any more. She is currently 6 months pregnant. My dad is making...

Message immediately after boot up... [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I've been having a problem for quite sometime. Whenever I boot up my Computer, I see a display error message. It says exactly: Windows cannot find ""C:\WINDOWS\sembako-chzjmkg.exe"". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start...

Monitor goes into standby immediately [ 14 Answers ]

A friend's computer has the following problem only if the printer is connected to the USB port of the computer when the computer and monitor are switched on. The monitor immddiately goes into standby and nothing can be seen on the screen. If the printer's USB cable is disconnected from the...

View more questions Search