Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vance1983 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2007, 08:11 PM
    crank up civic, run motor, stall and click fast, repeat?
    Hi, my 95 Civic 1.6L Vtec has been running great until recently. A few weeks ago my RPM gauge starting jumping around like crazy on the highway but the motor didn't seem (by sound) to be revving any higher or lower. It did this intermitantly for two weeks then on day it just cut off at highway speed. I crunk it back up and drove home. The next day it did the same thing but it wouldn't stay running long enough to get it home. It cut off within ten seconds. I towed it. Motor wasn't overheating. Found dirt in distributor cap. Replaced cap and rotor button. No change.
    replaced distributor, no change. Motor will crank up and run a few seconds to a minute then randomly cut off. When it cuts off, I hear fast clicking noises from dash. Cranks right back up. Please help, don't want to waste more money/time. Could it be the main relay clicking?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 09:09 AM
    . Test/replace Ignition Control Module and coil--AutoZone will do this for free.
    . Perform K-Test on ECM. If the ECM is bad, the main relay won't function properly.

Sep 6, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    . Test/replace Ignition Control Module and coil--AutoZone will do this for free.
    . Perform K-Test on ECM. If the ECM is bad, the main relay won't function properly.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the icm and coil are in the distributor(which I just bought new) in this car. I just bought a new main relay. The dist cap and rotor button have just been replaced. Fast clicking in dash has stopped and car no longer cranks up only turns over. What else could it be?
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2007, 01:22 PM
    There have been numerous situations on this site where aftermarket distributors have caused problems or new distributor housings are outfitted with the old ICMs and coils and the problem persists. Be sure and run the K-Test on the ECM, check all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter, ensure CEL comes on and goes off after 2 seconds, the fuel pump runs, and you can hear the main relay click.

Sep 9, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by txgreasemonkey
    There have been numerous situations on this site where aftermarket distributors have caused problems or new distributor housings are outfitted with the old ICMs and coils and the problem persists. Be sure and run the K-Test on the ECM, check all under-dash and under-hood fuses with a test light or multimeter, ensure CEL comes on and goes off after 2 seconds, the fuel pump runs, and you can hear the main relay click.

Thanks txgreasemonkey, the dstributor I bought was bad. I exchanged it and it runs great now. I appreciate your help.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 06:00 PM
    I'm back from Pacifica, CA. What brand distributor didn't work?

Sep 11, 2007, 03:46 PM
    The distributor brand was Cardone remanufactured OEM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

95 Honda civic won't start until after 2nd click [ 5 Answers ]

My 95 Honda civic won't start until after the 2nd click when the key is in the start position. When it starts, it runs fine and doesn't die at all. However, when it sits for a while, it behaves the same way again(cranks, but won't start, until after the sound of the 2nd click at which time the...

Civic will not crank over [ 1 Answers ]

My wife's 98 civic standard (Not Automatic), starts intermittently. IF anyone can help give us ideas it would be greatly appreciated... Here are the symptoms Push in the clutch and turn the key nothing happens. The lights do not dim (That we know of), we do not hear any clicking when we turn...

1990 Civic won't crank [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I got this honda civic for free. It would turn over before, but make a loud squeak and only turn over very slowly. Then I found out the alternator was totally seized up, so I took the alternator belt off to see if it would start. I turned the key and the starter cranked it over and started it...

Honda Civic 95 run motor on stand [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I Have a running 95 Honda civic that was hit. I am trying to take the motor out and make it run out of the car. I unplugged the computer and moved it to the engine compartment and tried to do the same with the wiring on the driver side. What wires are absolutely necessary to make the...

Disabling Right Click and Run [ 5 Answers ]

I want to disable my right click and my run command in my PC.. Is there a way I can do it without having a software? Any reply will be appreciated.. Tnx..

View more questions Search