Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    98redDodge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Steering wheel just spins wheels don't turn
    My 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 the steering wheel spins freely(zero friction)and the wheels do not turn.This happened the day after I towed a trailer not while I was driving(thankfully). The steering column and the linkage in the engine compartment are all OK. I do believe it is the knuckle at the tilt that went but I never heard of this before or found any repair procedures. ANYONE PLEASE HELP OR ADVISE.
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Sep 5, 2007, 02:28 AM
    This happened on my old Morris Minor when I first learned to drive. My father knew immediaetly what had happened and purchased the part for a few pounds (nearly my weekly wage then). It was fitted in about an hour. Go to Haynes Repair Manuals and select the book that covers your make and model. They are excellent books and will explain replacing the universal joint in your steering.
    bayareaslapzz Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Sep 5, 2007, 04:51 PM
    It is your steering joint which is connected to your crossmember. Its not that expensive but the labor expenses can be a pain in the neck
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 98redDodge
    My 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 the steering wheel spins freely(zero friction)and the wheels do not turn.This happened the day after I towed a trailer not while I was driving(thankfully). The steering column and the linkage in the engine compartment are all OK. I do believe it is the knuckle at the tilt that went but I never heard of this before or found any repair procedures. ANYONE PLEASE HELP OR ADVISE.
    Yessir, it sound like the steering gear box has given up it's fluxxy. If you turn the wheel and all things under the hood appear OK, most likey your next stop will be the salvage yard.
    Bring your tools.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 07:32 PM
    I'll bet the clock spring is wasted too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cub cadet steering wheel removal [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if any one knew how to remove a steering wheel from a 1200 cub cadet. We are having problems getting it off. Please help

Steering wheel won't turn [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2003 Ford Focus. My ignition lock wouldn't turn, thus not allowing my steering wheel to turn. I drilled out the ignition lock cylinder and the steering wheel was able to be turned. Now, the ignition cylinder is still out of the vehicle and the steering wheel is still locked. I'm not...

Steering Wheel and Ignition [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I just bought a really cheap 1990 Chevy Beretta. Seems to go fine but the steering is really tight and seems messed with, and the ignition is shot, I put the key in and have to almost force it out. How much do you think it would run me to get these both replaced. Also for some reason the...

Steering wheel and key locks [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My brand new 2006 Toyota Matrix (which I really enjoy) started giving me problems when I try to turn the key on, it stays locked. I also noticed that my steering wheel is also locked like when you turn it and the car is off. It's the second time it does this to me. It is not the normal...

Tilt-wheel steering wheel problem [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1998 Buick Park Ave the tilt-wheel will no longer change positions. A couple of days ago I got in the car, adjusted the steering wheel and heard something Pop. Since then, the steering wheel will only stay in that position. Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? ...

View more questions Search