Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cadmbfan Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Buying used car from private seller
    What can you do if you bought a car from a private seller, then the next day the cars engine blows..
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Sue the son of a b
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 02:50 PM
    I hope you have a sales contract that the two of you signed. That would say if you bought the car "as is". In that case, you are stuck.

If no contract, did the seller tell you anything about the condition of the car? If so, what had he said?

Sep 4, 2007, 02:52 PM
    He said there was nothing wrong with the car.
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Nope, when you buy a car it has to be able to perform for the purposes for which it was purchased. May be stuck anyway. There are a lot of shady people out there
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cadmbfan
    He said there was nothing wrong with the car.

He clearly defrauded you
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 02:59 PM
    And what will he say he said?

Did you take it to a mechanic for a once-over? That's standard procedure when buying a used car.

Is he a friend, or was this an ad in a newspaper?

Apparently there was no sales contract?

Sep 4, 2007, 03:07 PM
    I have talked to him today and he says the car was OK when he had it.. he is not giving the money back
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Since you two had no contract and he had told you the car was OK and you believed him and you paid him without taking the car to a mechanic, I'm guessing you have no case.

Check with a lawyer. They usually do free phone consultations to find out if you have a case.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Hello cad:

Used cars are sold "as is". That means without a written warrantee, you have NO warranty.

excon
    bayareaslapzz Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Sep 4, 2007, 04:40 PM
    YOU BETTER HAVE the BILL OF SALE. Bill of sale is a signed document stating that he/she sold you the car with both party's signature. Other than that... you're screwed =)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 05:04 PM
    You own it and it was working satisfactorily when you took possession. I would not even go so far as to say he defrauded you, how could he predict the engine would blow. "As is" means exactly that, what you take is what you get. You can try to sue him but in all likelihood you will not prevail unless you can PROVE fraud. That is pretty tough to prove. What do you think he may have done?
    berrysweetncgurl Posts: 166, Reputation: 19

Sep 4, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Does your state have a lemon law? I don't know what it is I have just heard about it

Good Luck I know your feelings are hurt
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 10, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Lemon laws apply to new cars bought from dealers.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2007, 08:07 AM
    Actually lemon laws can also apply to used cars, but generally only when purchased from dealers. Private sales are generally considered As Is.

The only hope you have is in proving that the engine blew because of a known condition.

If the car was running normally when you took possession, then you are pretty much stuck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Private car sale gone bad [ 12 Answers ]

I wasn't sure where to post this. I recently sold a 1968 Porsche 911L. The contract that is signed by both parties states that cash payments were to be made in the sum of 5k by January of 2008 and that several odd jobs around my home were to be completed by Feb. of 2007. In addition, the buyer was...

Selling/buying a car to/from a private party [ 3 Answers ]

I really appreciate if anybody can help me by answering the following... 1) When you sell a car to a private party, what do you need to do? > a)Do you just need to sign on the title and give it to the buyer? > b)Do you need to go to a office to cancel the registration/tag/license plate? >...

Private Seller [ 4 Answers ]

I recently sold a car to a guy who checked out the condition of the car and test drove it twice before purchasing. The car was in good working condition and the only thing that really needed to be done was having the ac recharged. Now after having the car for a week the guy is claiming there are...

Car accident on private property [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I was involved in a car accident. It was 9 PM, dark. I was backing of my driveway and hit a car that was parked on the street in my subdivision. The police came and determine that is my fault. The officer suggested that we can just exchange insurance information and there is no need of...

Private Seller - Bad Purchase [ 9 Answers ]

Hi - bought a 1993 car from a private seller in SC... the ad stated that ac was included in the car. When my husband tried it, only warm air came out. The seller assured him it worked and maybe a wire was loose. We spent $200 for the mechanic to tell us that the compressor makes noise, no...

View more questions Search