Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmwidi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Musty smell in water
    Recently our municipal water switched from treated well to treated lake Michigan water. Brand new pipeline. Since the new water was supposed to be half the hardness and wanting to save money on our now outrageous water bill, I bypassed my water softener. After 2 weeks, I'm now getting a slight musty smell when I first turn on the cold and hot faucet. The shower smells the whole time I'm in.
    Can this be harmful? I feel as if I'm taking a shower in mold!
    What can I do?:eek:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 3, 2007, 10:48 AM
    We had the same problem here in Florida when the dry season lowered the water in our reservoir. The county sent out word that this wasn't harmful and would pass once we got the reservoir fiulled back up. I lived in Chicago and swam in Lake Michigan. That water tasted nasty 50 years ago and I'll bet it hasn't changed much since then. Call your local utility comoany. My bet is that the water's OK. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interior musty smell when rain comes [ 2 Answers ]

This does not have to do with actual improvement of the home, but to a point I guess it does. Whenever it rains I notice this musty smell in my living room and office. We used to only notice it in the office room, but now we notice it in the living/dining area too. The office and living/dining...

Musty smell when entering home [ 3 Answers ]

When I enter my house, there is a very strong musty odor that I can smell. Although there is no mold visible anywhere around the house, I'm suspecting that we have a mold problem. Any suggestions?

Toilet leak, musty smell [ 1 Answers ]

I recently replace the supply line to my toilet. I guess I did it wrong and water leaked around the edge of the wall for 2 days. I fixed the leak and mopped up the water. Now we have a bad musty smell. DO I need to tear my sheetrock out and replace the insulation and sheetrock? I don't see any...

Musty/moldy smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have noticed a strong musty/moldy smell coming from the bathroom vanity, inside of heating baseboard (there are holes where the pipes go into the wall), inside the electrical box panel and any small openings on the baseboard too. We own a slab ranch home (no basement). There are no visible...

View more questions Search