Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Penmarric Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2007, 09:24 AM
    What is a fair amount of security deposit to keep
    I have taken a security deposit from a prospective renter of my rental property in Colorado. I gave him a free week in good faith and he moved in. On the day of the lease signing one week later he said the house he was purchasing was nearer completion than he thought and he didn't want to move in and sign a 12 month lease.

In the meantime I turned away another renter with a deposit and was left with an empty property. Can I keep the security deposit? Nothing signed.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Hello Pen:

I suggest you become familiar with your states landlord/tenant laws. You can find a copy right here on this forum at the top on a "sticky note". You wouldn't play poker without knowing the rules, would you?

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 2, 2007, 05:37 PM
    He is obligated for a full month rent, so you withhold a months rental, at least that is what I would do here.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Sep 2, 2007, 06:04 PM
    He took possession so he owes you min 30 days written notice... if you want to be a GOOD landlord, learn your state L-T laws and follow proper leasing procedures... get application, quality applicant, take money, they sign lease THEN you give them keys and they move in... you had the process a little backward.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deposit forfeited, is it fair ? [ 2 Answers ]

I wanted to buy a 2nd hand motorcycle, so I put $600 as deposit in a shop. The shopkeeper promised me that I could take the motorcycle within 2 week because he needed to do some transferring jobs. But, after 2 weeks, I went to the shop, he said the motorcycle was under blacklist because the...

Amount of Pet Deposit in California & is it refundable? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a landlord & I want to know the pet deposit amount for a chiuaua & a labrador & are they refundable in California

I need a security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

I Need Help With Getting The Move In Money For My House That I Am About To Move Into In Another 2 Months

Citizenship or Green card by deposit amount of Moneny in a bank? [ 6 Answers ]

Dear Sir: I would like to take any citizenship around the world by deposit specific amount of money in a bank account. Can you help me? With kind regards Khaled salem

View more questions Search