Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KLongley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Car Dealer will not/cannot give me my title.
    Traded for a car at a local car dealer. My trade was worth more than the car I bought. My trade was immediately sold to a different party. I purchased the car on 5/10/07 and have not yet received the title. I do have the bill of sale for my trade and the license application for my new car.

I call the dealer several times a week and leave messages. I might get to speak with him every other week, because he does not return my calls. About six weeks after the purchase I asked for my money back and he told me he did not have it. He owes the auction were he bought the car money and they are holding my title until he pays them.

It has now been three and a half months and am worried about losing my money. He is now telling me he is trying to get refinanced from his bank.

I've filed a complaint with the Mo Attorney Generals office.

What should I do? Can the auction come for the car or do I own it? What happens if he goes bankrupt? Will I be a creditor or can I force the auction to give the title to the car that I paid cash for and force them to deal with him?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2007, 04:40 PM
    The way I see it, you need to determine whether the title was ever trasferred to the dealer. If it wasn't then he had no right to sell it. If the title was registered in his name, but the auction house is holding it until he pays them, then it's a waiting game.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 31, 2007, 06:06 PM
    If the title was not given to the car lot, then he did not have a legal right to sell it, and the auction company and/or the seller actually still owns it.

You need to sue the car lot/dealer for the money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car Loan and Car Title - Minnesota Law [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My fiancé and I recently bought a car on a Saturday. We live in Minnesota. At first, the finance guy at the car dealership told us the financing will be done through Wells Fargo. After spending close to 4 hours at there and hearing it was a reputable bank that we both bank through -- we...

Dealer Sold The Car I Had A $1000 Deposit On [ 7 Answers ]

I put $1000 down for a dealer to take a vehicle off the market while I got financing for it. I had 30 days to pay or the car could be sold to someone else and I lose my $1000. I gave them the money and the paperwork was drawn up. I called today to let them know my status and apparently, the guy...

Deposit on auto contract signed - but dealer can't locate car [ 5 Answers ]

I just signed an contract for a new 2007 tiburon, I got the GT v6 with the sun and sound package, and I am ONLY looking for black/black, I put a 1,200 deposit on the car.. it says its non refundable, if I cancel... but what I want to know is what if the dealer can't find the car. How long do I have...

Wouldn't give car insurance info [ 5 Answers ]

My daughter rear ended someone on the freeway, obviously her fault. Their car only suffered minor damage, they didn't want to give my daughter insurance info because of this, they asked her to pay the damages on the side. How do I know they have insurance, how do we trust what they are asking...

Car dealer [ 3 Answers ]

I was thinking of quiting my job as a produce manager and try my hand at selling cars at a local dealership. They say they will train me and give me 4000 dollars up front after I finish the training program. How much do you usually make selling a car and what if I go a week without selling...

View more questions Search