K9teeth Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 09:38 AM
    My dog ate poo
    My dog ate poo.
    Is it okay if dogs eat poo?
    What should I do?
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 31, 2007, 09:44 AM
    Dogs are known to do that. It isn't going to hurt it, but you should try to discourage that kind of behavior.

"It is important for dog owners to know that this behavior is normal for a mother dog with
    pups," adds Dr. Eurell. Newborn pups must learn to urinate and defecate. The mother
    Teaches the pups by licking their bottoms. The pups respond to this "tickle" by urinating and
    Defecating. The mother then consumes the pups' excrement, which serves two protective
    Purposes: it keeps the den area clean and it removes smells that could attract a predator.
    Some pups learn this behavior from their mothers and will stimulate themselves and
    Consume their own feces. Most pups stop by the time they are weaned.

It is more difficult to understand why adult dogs eat feces. Some dogs will learn this
    Behavior from other dogs. In some cases, eating feces may be an attention-seeking
    Behavior. For some dogs it is possibly due to anxiety or boredom. Most often the
    Motivation for eating feces is just not known.

http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/s...cle.cfm?id=166
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Just why dogs eat feces is poorly understood. I lean toward nutrition. However, too much and too rich of a diet is far worse for a growing puppy than eating feces, which they often grow out of. Usually the worst problem is sickening the owner. I have tried to control the problem by careful clean up. You can also use food additives if the dog is eating its own. The schools I raise puppies for suggest either pineapple juice or canned pumpkin. You can also try the commercial products, Deter or Forbid.

If my answer doesn't cover your problem, post back with more details.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 02:42 PM
    k9teeth my dog did this when I first got her. The rescue group said it was it could be because she was nervous in the shelter. They must have been right, because it has been 3 years and she doesn't do that now. So in my dogs case it was nervousness.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

THE DOG ate the AC wiring! [ 2 Answers ]

My new puppy ate the wires on my outside compressor unit (I know, my fault for not having metal conduit protecting it - will definitely do so after fixing it). Wires going to the transformer on the inside heater unit are yellow, white, red, blue. Two wires coming out from the outside compressor...

Dog poo [ 6 Answers ]

What causes a dogs poo to be black?

Neighbor slipped in Dog Poo-suing [ 29 Answers ]

Hello. My neighbor slipped in dog poo on her lawn last week and claims she has a "compressed fracture" and needs surgery and might be out of work 6-8 months. She said she still has the dog poop she slipped in and she is going to get DNA samples of the dogs in the neighborhood (she does not have a...

Dog ate meds [ 3 Answers ]

I left my puppy (5mos) alone for a matter of 1 minute and she got into my pills eating one of my tegetrols. Will this kill her:confused::( :eek: Thank you.

Dog poo is off color [ 4 Answers ]

This morning when my dog went the toilet she did a few poos that were very white, they were dry and were crumbly. She also did poos similar to these this afternoon and I'm very worried. She also did not have her dinner last night or tonight. She is a white pure bred maltese dog who is nearly 2.5...

View more questions Search