Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    go4011s Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 10:00 PM
    What is the escape velocity of childishness?
    I'm a mature adult quickly approaching 30 years of age. I love art and graphic design culture, drawing, writing, creating and imagining things, and while I know this is all part of the profession, I am a workaholic, and I rarely do much else than sit, think, and work, spending my time pining away over stories and ideas I someday hope to publish. I'm currently an unemployed student.

I love nostalgia... I have fond and not-so-fond memories of my relatively uneventful childhood, and while my skill as a designer/illustrator improves along and my storytelling abilities... I can't help but think that I'm stuck in a cycle of working and daydreaming, and that somehow I'm developmentally stunted and not being the adult I should be simply because the creative nature of the work.

I think the work keeps my young and inquisitive and entertained... So I ask, anyone, but especially creatives, what is the escape velocity of childishness? At what point did you grow beyond the want for childish things? What are you doing in life, and do you still feel like a child at heart? Is it awkward? Will it pass?

Edit to clarify: I'm all in favor of retaining my childlike fascination and wonder and with the world.
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Aug 27, 2007, 10:25 PM
    I'm 16, and very creative, and guess what
    The people on this site have often not realised how young I am, until they read my profile :)
    Dude... old people use creams and pills and try so many things to try and recover their youth!
    Young people are passionate, loud, we have spirit, we often still think that we can do anything that we set our minds too in our future, we often believe that we can do great things and not be trapped by our failures.
    I am only just beginning to feel what older people must feel, the regret of past failures, of deadlines missed, of chances missed, oppurtunities lost...
    Now, I worry about the future so much, I worry "am i gunna pass? have i failed and done poorly too much to get a good job and do well for the rest of my life?" and it eats me up so much.
    Don't ever think youth is bad.
    go4011s Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 10:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    im 16, and very creative, and guess what
    the people on this site have often not realised how young i am, until they read my profile :)
    dude.....old people use creams and pills and try so many things to try and recover their youth!
    young people are passionate, loud, we have spirit, we often still think that we can do anything that we set our minds too in our future, we often believe that we can do great things and not be trapped by our failures.
    i am only just beginning to feel what older people must feel, the regret of past failures, of deadlines missed, of chances missed, oppurtunities lost.......
    now, i worry about the future so much, i worry "am i gunna pass? have i failed and done poorly too much to get a good job and do well for the rest of my life?" and it eats me up so much.
    dont ever think youth is bad.

I think we're talking about different things here. I'm not really concerned with vanity... but with behavioral psychology of being as old as I am and sill exploring things like you'd expect a 7 or 8 year old to do... I wander. I poke. I examine and ask a whole lot of questions and then feel overwhelmed that I don't have all the answers.

A couple of weeks ago I rolled around in a large cardboard box in the living room for about 45 minutes. And part of me thinks this would be really amusing or endearing if we only had kids... but alas, it was for my own entertainment.

I eat a lot of cereal.

I guess this is a bit of an odd question... (ish)
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Aug 27, 2007, 11:21 PM
    I'm not talking about vanity, I was talking about how old people miss what you got.
    Though I admit the cardboard box thing is a little cookoo, but oh well, at least your having fun :)
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 12:27 AM
    It doesn't need to escape look at the perinial children that are Tim Burton and David Hockney to name just two. It seems to be especially prevalent in males hmm...

I don't think your actions are especially weird or childish. I think more people do these things than you realise. I don't think many people lose the wonder as much as they gain inhibition.

Anyway in a real answer to your question the escape velocity will be the square root of G (a constant in nature 6.67 X 10-11 N m2/kg2) times the mass of childishness divided by the radial distance from adulthood.

Make sure the mass of childishness is in kilograms and the radial distance of adulthood is in km ir your answer will be in m/s and that would just be silly.

It really is that simple now get out from under the table and work it out yourself. I'm not here to do your homework for you.
    gemademoiselle Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Oct 7, 2008, 06:07 PM

I find myself with this question a lot... then I realize the best advice is to just embrace your inner youth, it makes you who you are! I am a lot like you - I am also a storyteller and live for creative thoughts, nostalgia, and experiences. Although, my main vice is world travel (whereas yours is illustrating). I finally organized the way to make it possible to live the nomadic life I want. Don't worry how people view you, your creativity thrives off being inquisitive. It's your nature, you don't have to feel you need to change. Embrace it and become a children's author/illustrator. I bet you could make a name for yourself.

:)
    gemademoiselle Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Oct 7, 2008, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by go4011s View Post
    I think we're talking about different things here. I'm not really concerned with vanity... but with behavioral psychology of being as old as I am and sill exploring things like you'd expect a 7 or 8 year old to do... I wander. I poke. I examine and ask a whole lot of questions and then feel overwhelmed that I don't have all the answers.

A couple of weeks ago I rolled around in a large cardboard box in the living room for about 45 minutes. And part of me thinks this would be really amusing or endearing if we only had kids... but alas, it was for my own entertainment.

I eat a lot of cereal.

I guess this is a bit of an odd question... (ish)

I'm entertained by cardboard houses and things like parachuting off fridges with plastic grocery bags still too.. and I'm 20. Hahah
    It just means you are uninhibited... which makes me know there are still people who are real out there! Haha knowing this has given me hope in humanity

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ship's velocity [ 1 Answers ]

How can measure ship’s velocity? (In that ship)

Escape characters [ 2 Answers ]

While going through someone's program, I came across escape characters "\A" and "\B". I wanted to know whether this escape characters really exists in perl ?

I cannot escape [ 5 Answers ]

It’s been a year and two months. They try to tell you love fades with time, but I tell you there is no such thing as time. I had been with this guy for about a year a half starting the summer before my senior year in high school. He was never that great of a guy. The first six months of us being...

Velocity [ 1 Answers ]

The orbit of Halley's Comet around the Sun is a long thin ellipse. At its aphelion (point farthest from the Sun), the comet is 5.1 1012 m from the Sun and moves with a speed of 12.0 km/s. What is the comet's speed at its perihelion (closest approach to the Sun) where its distance from the Sun is...

View more questions Search