Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lindsey_2003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2005, 12:17 PM
    Legal sex age
    I'm 17 and will turn 18 on October 11th but my dad is thinking about putting my boyfriend in jail for being with a minor. My boyfriend is 24. I live in California and I know the age of consent is 18 but do you think the police will really enforce this law when I turn 18 in a month? If you can give me advice I would appreciate it.

Lindsey
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2005, 12:30 PM
    He's not going to jail "for being a minor", that's not an indictable offense. Your dad is bluffing unless there is something else you haven't told us.
    Lindsey_2003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2005, 12:47 PM
    Thanks for reply
    Thanks for the reply so quickly. Well I guess you know we have had sex but it is by my consent. I love him a lot and he has done nothing to harm me. Of all things I think he is more attached to me then I am to him. My dad called the police once and an officier called my boyfriend but only to warn him(3 months ago). So I don't know how serious this really is for me to worry about.
    rachel101 Posts: 77, Reputation: 19

Mar 14, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Doesn't matter if you consented or not because until you are 18 you don't have the right to make that consentual decision. Put it this way... there is a lot of laws on the books and sometimes the cops enforce them and sometimes they don't. It probably depends on how busy they are, how big of a fuss you dad makes and whether your dad knows someone in the dept. to press the issue but be clear on this... the fact you consented doesn't matter. If I were you I wouldn't mess with this. You will be 18 in a month so abide by your dad's wishes and wait until you are an "adult" (18). The problems your boyfriend could face would ruin his life. He would have to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life etc. I mean are these really stakes you wish to mess around with?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Having sex underage isn't the whole problem, if your BF was your age, even at 17 you might have been fine.

The problem is he is an adult and YOU are a minor. If dad wants to put him in jail he is completely within the right to do so.

My advice is stop looking at the calendar. The crime was committed and your turning 18 next month would be meaningless if he were charged for sex with you before 18, understand?

Your ONLY hope of keeping him out of jail is to own it and throw yourselves on the mercy of the court (Dad) and work something out with him. He's got the upper hand, you need to act like you know that.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Well, he should not be with someone that is a minor in the first place, so your dad is wrong for even allowing this to start with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is this legal? [ 13 Answers ]

Is it legal for me to hack another one of my own computers?

Legal age? [ 3 Answers ]

I thought the legal age to work behind a bar was 18 but at my current employment there is a girl of 17 working behind the bar. I spocked to the owner about this and he said no it is 16 now in there U.K, but I just wanted to make sure. Can any one tell me what the legal age is for definite? Thank...

Is this legal ? [ 10 Answers ]

I currently accepted a job where I was under the impression I was to travel out of my surrounding area.During this last holiday break I received a phone call from the human resources that my itenerary would be in the mail.When I returned from my out of town holiday visit.I indeed received an...

Is It Legal [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My daughter is buying a mobile home and land package deal. She started buying it in 2002. In 2004 she lost her job and got behind on her payments. So the mortgage co put it in foreclosure. She paid a little over 5 thousand to stop the foreclosure. Then in 2005 she had to take a different...

Is Win MX Legal? [ 4 Answers ]

Is Win MX Legal? Cos I'm from singapore and the law here is kind of strict.. want to find out... Please reply, it's much appreciated. Thank you!

View more questions Search