Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unclehayseed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Owner Occupancy clause laws
    My wife and I bought a condo conversion in san diego 2 1/2 years ago at a 4.25% fixed 30yr interest rate. When we had our first child 5 months ago, we realized we needed to move into something bigger, but that meant renting this place and moving to buffalo. There is a clause in our lender's contract that stipulates "owner occupancy for the entire life of the loan!" if we were to rent it out, how would they verify owner occupancy? More importantly, can they honestly keep us in this condo for the next 27 years without allowing us to rent it? It's hardly an investment property with the way the market is these days. We are unable to refinance because we have no equity as the market value went from $225,000 to $180,000.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 24, 2007, 08:44 PM
    If that clause was in the contract, then, if they find out (and the condo assoc might inform them) they could call the loan on you. No they can't force you to stay, you can always sell. But they can force you to live there while you own it.
    DianeV Sr Loan Officer Posts: 76, Reputation: 9

Aug 25, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Scott is right on! You may be in a loan that is sponsored by a bond program in CA that gives a low rate to 1st time buyers. The primary stip on those loans is that it has to be owner occupied. Because they are not meant to act as investment or income producing properties. Rest assured they will call the loan if they find out. You really need to sell it and move on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Certificate of Occupancy requirement - Washington, DC [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew the implications of a landlord not having a certificate of occupancy for a basement apartment. I currently live in one in Washington, DC, and my landlord is being very difficult about letting me out of my lease. I bought a house and have tried to work with her...

How can I view a Certificate of Occupancy [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get or at least view a certificate of occupancy for a property that I do not own? If so where would I get it. If I were interested in buying a property wouldn't it make sense to view the COO to verify the property uses? Any other information that may be useful?? :confused: Thank you!

Verbal occupancy - now landlord wants lease [ 7 Answers ]

My "landlord" allowed me to move in about a month ago under the agreement (verbal) that there would be no lease and I would be paying on a month to month basis, now out of no where she wants me to sign a lease in which I do not6 agree with the terms of, is this legal? Can she evict me? Can there be...

View more questions Search