Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2007, 08:33 PM
    I think incompetent work by unlicensed people is a bigger issue in multifamily dwellings. I am the super for my house.
    donkeykong Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 07:44 PM
    You mean in an apartment building? Because most incidences of gas/co leaks that I've heard of have occurred in single family dwellings. The people who do the inspections are hired by our super.
    In a situation such as ours, I think it's obviously the inspectors fault that the problem wasn't solved earlier. I mean, they're being paid and yet not doing their jobs properly.
    Also, although I've mentioned this before here it goes again: the faulty pipes were installed before we rented the unit. We have since gotten them replaced. The pix I've displayed are of the old damaged pipe.

Sep 17, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Anyone else have feedback/opinions?

Sep 24, 2007, 01:55 PM
    I must if pinched the wrong nerve. Anyone else got any opinions?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 24, 2007, 04:31 PM
    All the opinions have been expressed. How much do you want us to beat this job up. Its over.I hope it got fixed.

Oct 2, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    If that is a gas water heater it is missing the required diverter that is supposed tro be on top. That is strange now that I can see the entire picture.Take a picture of the lower part of the water heater also and post here.
    OK, what is the diveter for and what are the consequences of it not being there.
    Once again, do anyone think it was possible for a vent pipe like to be causing any kind of leak?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 2, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Call a qualified heating contractor. LOL You have beat this to death.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2007, 08:52 AM
    I don't blame you for reposting. Our experienced HVAC people still have to check in. Perhaps they read that the pipe has been replaced and have gone on to unsolved problems. So how many times have you been told to replace it? I too fell into the discussion of that. Sorry.

It is a draft hood, not a diverter. It stands on legs leaving a gap between the top of the tank and the vent. I think it is largely to let air in to avoid excess draft. Without the gap, I would expect the pilot light to be blown out on gusty days. I don't see how its lack would cause fumes getting into the house, but maybe it could. Otherwise, as I said, I don't see how the pipe would leak. It was a Mickey Mouse job, and it is not surprising it didn't work right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cracked my cast iron pipe. [ 5 Answers ]

Well, I've gone an' done it now... I'm tapping into a 4" CI waste pipe that runs outside my house parallel to the foundation, trying to add a Combo-Wye to a new stack inside the house. I want to use all cast-iron for the underground/through-foundation section because i feel it's stronger,...

Cracked Water Pipe in Basement [ 2 Answers ]

I was just told the reason my toilet in the basement was not flushing efficiently was because of a craked water pipe. They jack hammered a 2 ft X 1 ft area and replaced the pipe and then poured new concrete. They billed me $1400 to do this. Does this sound right?:confused: Thanks, LEMEME

Furnace exhaust pipe with white material [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 4 year old Ruud gas furnace and I noticed today that there is white, flakey material coming from the joints on the exhaust pipe. What is this?

Cracked Furnace Pipe [ 49 Answers ]

Hello everyone I have a quick question. One of the pipes which is attached to our furnace and leads outside cracked about 8 months ago. The repairman came and took care of it using waterproof adhesive sealant. A few weeks ago, another repairman came to clean up a natural gas leak and I asked...

View more questions Search