Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gneubaum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Underage drinking
    Our 19 year old daughter may be drinking and driving. Not sure where to start, do we report her to authorities, have her tested? [sigh]
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Have you talked to her about the effects that her behavior can have on herself and others?

Many people don't realize the damages that can be caused by their actions. Many young people believe that they could never get into an accident or never get caught.

MADD might be a good place to start to find some good info to give to your daughter.

MADD Online: Stats & Resources
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2007, 01:50 PM
    If you know she is driving while drinking, yes, you can and probably should, call the police. It is not being mean to her, but rather making the choice for her that she cannot, due to her drinking. Sadly the authorities cannot do much about someone who might be drinking or it is not known if she is drinking or not. But you can talk to them and ask them to be watchful. It cannot hurt to ask but do not be surprised is they say they cannot do much at that time.

If you live in a small town like I grew up in, the police knew everyone (which was good and bad).
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 23, 2007, 01:53 PM
    I would like to ask why you think this before I offer a possible solution.
    SAB123 Posts: 685, Reputation: 94

Aug 24, 2007, 08:20 AM
    I would talk to her before hand, she may resent you for doing this. Then theirs the financial burden she going to have to deal with and the losing of her license. I would at least talk to her first.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 08:57 AM
    I agree that many people do not realise the effects of drinking underage or not.

I do think parents have a hard time convincing their children that drinking does not help in anyway, it has become part of many cultures as a social practice.

Calling the authorities must be the hardest thing a parent could do their own child.
    Talking to them personally and convincing them would be a better alternative anytime.

There are many cases of drunk driving where the driver or the people on the road have been harmed.I even read of a case where a son drove his car into his mothers car.He did not even realise it was his mother until he woke up in hospital to find that he had killed his mother and her best friend.
    Maybe you could show her such stories and tell her that you are not trying to spoil her fun, but that you worry about her safety and the safety of others.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    If you know she is driving while drinking, yes, you can and probably should, call the police. It is not being mean to her, but rather making the choice for her that she cannot, due to her drinking. Sadly the authorities cannot do much about someone who might be drinking or it is not known if she is drinking or not. But you can talk to them and ask them to be watchful. It cannot hurt to ask but do not be surprised is they say they cannot do much at that time.

If you live in a small town like I grew up in, the police knew everyone (which was good and bad).
    I Think you said it perfect really, you know what's best!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 24, 2007, 08:35 PM
    How much control do you have over a adult daughter , 19 is an adult.
    I would see if you can get them to go see a couseler, and visit a homeless shelter and see what drinking does, But to be honest, they won't believe you or think "that" could happen to them.

Even drunks that get arrested driving, keep doing it normally.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 08:37 PM
    K well I don't no exactly about drinking but doing drugs I know s you up bad and I'm 100% sure drimnnking will do the same! And get her to read up on crashes caused by drunk driving!
    LOSTnNC Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Oct 1, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Well she's at an age now that NOW IS THE TIME AS A PARENT U HAVE THAT RIGHT AND DUTY TO HER Well I can't say I drank under age but I didn't drink my first beer till I was 21 I got a DWI here in NC when I was 26 the amount of money it has cost me in fees court and lawyer costs not to mention insurance rates if I could sit down with her and explain the effects the things and what her actions can bring I got lucky I didn't kill anyone but I did lose my license for a year and ahalf I was able to keep my truck but again JAcksonville nc isn't that big of a city where I grew up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arrested for Underage drinking! [ 5 Answers ]

Okay I was arrested for underage drinking... I was trying to run away from home... this is the first time I have evr gotten in any trouble with the law... they did not read my my rights or do a breathalizer test to see how drunk I was... they went off what someone else said... what I need to know...

Engaged and underage [ 2 Answers ]

Well I'm 17, and my boyfriend that I love so much asked me to marry him at our towns fireworks. Like any girl I agreed because I'm madly in love with him and it just feels right being with him. He is 19 he is bouncing from house to house because he has no where to live. He can get a job, and I've...

Underage drinking [ 6 Answers ]

I recently received a ticket for "being less than 21 and possessing malt beverage" and "fraudulent identification". I know that having a REAL drivers license and altering it is considered a felony for falsifying a government document, but I read that having a flat out fake ID is only a misdeamenor....

Underage drinking [ 3 Answers ]

Well my boyfriend and I were talking last night and we got into a fight about underage drinking. I just want to know can't you get arrested underage drinking? I told him that you can get arrested for underage drinking but he didn't believe me...

View more questions Search