Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lord_zon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2007, 01:30 PM
    Craftsman LawnMower Pulley Issues
    I went to start my lawnmower this am and the cable/rope just pulled right out. How can I reattach this part? The local repair center wants to sell me $40 for the whole recoil when all I need to do it hook up the rope...

Anyone have an idea how to do this?

Peter
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2007, 05:39 PM
    IF the rope goes up onto the handle bars about mid ways, then:
    1. purchase 7feet of the correct size rope, carry a piece with you.
    2. remove the blower housing,(top of engine)
    3. remove any pieces of rope
    4. turn the rope pulley in the direction that when released allows it to spin back the other
    Way. This is how you rewind the spring to where it spins back the other way, do this
    Until it stops turning, then let it back off about 1 full turn. Align the hole in the recoil
    Housing with the hole in the pulley.
    5. hold the pulley and do not let go.
    6. feed rope through from the outside, and pull enough through the pulley to tie a simple
    Knot, like the first part when you begin to tie you shoes. Pull this knot tight.
    7. pull the excessive rope through the rewind housing.
    8. hold the other end of the rope securely,
    9. allow the spring to rewind thusfore, pulling the rope back into the rewind pulley.
    10. Then tie a knot in the other part of the rope outside the blower housing
    11. Place blower housing back onto the engine and tighten all bolts
    12. Depress brake starting lever at top of handle bars
    13. Pull up enough rope to go through the eye bolt on the handle bars
    14. Place the pull rope handle back onto the rope
    15. Use mower.
    lord_zon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Thanks! I ended up pulling it apart and I figured it out! I was worried I might not get things back together. It was different than my snowmoblie engine pulley with the recoil attached. Whew!

Thanks again, now I just need to pull the carb to figure out what's going on with that dang thing.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 06:22 PM
    I am glad I was able to help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trouble starting craftsman lawnmower [ 2 Answers ]

Have a craftsman lawnmower and we have trouble starting it every time we use it, the spark plug always is black. What could the problem be?

Craftsman 26 HP riding lawnmower [ 5 Answers ]

It turns on and rides fine but once I pull the blade engagement switch nothing happens. I guess what I am asking is why the blades won't engage?:confused:

Craftsman rear engine riding mower drive belt pulley alignment [ 1 Answers ]

The drive belt that propels the machine keeps coming off the idler pulley. It appears that the idler pulley is positioned we below the other two pulleys. Is there a way to move the idler pulley up so it aligns with the others.

Removing a blade from a Craftsman Lawnmower... [ 4 Answers ]

Okay I am trying to tighten up the blade on a Craftsman electric lawnmower my neighbor threw out. It still works, but the blade will not tighten up. I have tried to hold the blade and loosen, held the spinning mechanism the blade sits on, I have jammed screwdriver up into the bottom of the mower...

14.5 hp MTD lawnmower-Drive pulley [ 1 Answers ]

I need to remove the drive pulley. I removed the nut at the bottom but the drive pulley will not come off. Do I require a pulley puller or am I missing something? Thanks

View more questions Search