Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Edensmimi Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Aug 20, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Can talking to a creditor outside of the court be harmful to my case?
    As stated before We filed an Intend to defend and requested a hearing as well with the court and credit card company. The lawyer for the credit card company sent a letter wanting to discuss arrangements with us and try and keep it out of court as to save money. If we talk to them and explain we have no money to make arrangements with does that hurt our case in court further by talking to them out of court? Please help as time is of the essence here. My parents are not debt deadbeats, circumstances beyond their control has crushed their financial world.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2007, 11:36 AM
    Simply tell them to put their offer in writing

Aug 20, 2007, 11:51 AM
    Thank you Mr. Yet, you are always very helpful to everyone ;)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 02:47 AM
    I would just like to add, that whenever you speak with people about something that is very important, it is best to have a witness present who you know and trust. This can be with things that happen on the phone or in person.
    wickedimp Posts: 57, Reputation: 14

Aug 21, 2007, 02:53 AM
    <snip>
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 03:27 AM
    The original poster is not talking about bankruptcy.

Aug 21, 2007, 08:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedimp
    <snip>

What exactly does this mean??
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 21, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedimp
    <snip>
    I suspect Imp posted a response that wasn't applicable so he editied it instead of deleting.

As to your question. Not being able to pay is not a valid defense. So if you feel that you cannot pay anything, then I would not bother talking to the creditors. Just hope you can get the suit dismissed because they can't prove the debt. If they show proof, then the judge will grant them a judgement. Your response to that, that your parents have no assets nor income other than protected income.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Edensmimi
    If we talk to them and explain we have no money to make arrangements with does that hurt our case in court
    Hello E:

I don't know what <snip> means.

It won't hurt your case but it won't help either. He wants to settle. He wants to negotiate. That's GOOD for you. Because if/when you lose in court, the judgment will be a whole lot HIGHER (maybe double when you add attorney's fees and court costs) than any settlement agreement you could come to - if you'd just speak with him and if you had a little cash.

He very well might settle with you for $.25 on the dollar...

excon

Aug 21, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Thank you to all of you for your help, it is greatly appreciated and I will post the outcome so that it might help others in their situation

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Court Case for Home Improvement Scam in Maryland [ 3 Answers ]

I was scammed by a home improvement contractor in the state of Maryland. The case went to court, but was put on stet for 1 year with the stipulation that it could go to trial anytime during that year if it was requested for any reason. As part of the stet, it was stipulated that the contractor...

Probation court case pending [ 6 Answers ]

There is suppose to be a hearing on the east coast, about the validity Of probation on cases where probation is not mentioned in the charges. Is this case really in the court?

What problems are there in taking a civil case to court? [ 3 Answers ]

What problems are there in taking a civil case to court? :confused:

Creditor Rights in Bankruptcy Court [ 1 Answers ]

We have a judgment against renters who are now filing Chpt 7 and I heard if they did malicious damage to our property we should still be able to collect that money. They got into a fight and he broke an exterior door and they never fixed it. Therefore there ended up being water damage on the...

View more questions Search