Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gjlquestion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Does executor have power to have someone leave?
    My mother passed away 1 year ago. My brothers were living with her in units in Southgate, California when she died, neither one had a contract. The younger one was managing the units and the older was shacked up in the living room having had a restraining order for life in place from his wife who lives in Bell The older brother feels entitled to the property even though everyone else believes otherwise. The question is... can the executor(an older sister) legally ask him to leave or can we just lock him out or some combonation there of. The situation is becoming risky and the older has threatened both my younger brother and I with some type of legal action against our professional titles (teacher and social worker)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 20, 2007, 11:32 AM
    What did your mom's will say about the property? As executor, your job is to see to it that the money and property are handled according to the will. You have done nothing illegal from what you have said so far so don't worry about your teaching certificate.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 20, 2007, 11:52 AM
    I agree with ballengerb1.

If you're within the legal parameters of the will but the older attempts legal action, his case won't hold water and would be tossed out, leaving him with his legal fees and yours too.

Not to mention possible defamation and/or slander charges you would be advised to bring on him for his immature action against your mother's expressed wish.
    NoEarnedIncome Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Sep 12, 2007, 06:01 PM
    If someone is challenging a will it is normally based on some basis for the will not being valid such as person making will not of sound mind, undue duress on person making the will, etc.

In state of VA and I think most others, how the estate is divided whether one or more survivors feel they didn't get a fair share isn't basis for challenging a will. Continue probating the will as written and you will be doing what you are supposed to do.

If the will didn't leave the older a unit to live in, then it isn't his. However, you may need or want legal assistance to handle this apparently sticky situation.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2007, 06:06 PM
    First, the older brother had established residency so you can't just kick him out.
    Second, we really need to know the terms of the will here. If the older brother is a beneficiary of the estate, he could make a case that he is a part owner of the property and entitled to live there.
    Third, based on what littl you have told us, you have done nothing that would give him grounds to sue you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 12, 2007, 06:28 PM
    And why after a year is the will not already finished in probate? Some should be owner of it by now or the property sold to be divided.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawsuit by Executor of Estate [ 5 Answers ]

My mother was Power of Attorney for a close family friend. Recently my mother and I have been named in a lawsuit, suing us for bankrupting the estate, theft of the estate, etc. We are absolutely innocent of these charges, they are unfounded and we have a paper trail to prove this. They are also...

Executor limitations [ 5 Answers ]

My husband passed away, we hd no will.. he did give me power of attorney to sell the house if something happen to him, it's not good now. I have fixed up the house, have a buyer, and now I find out the probate was never finished all the way. As executor of the Estate can I sell the house? For...

Need to know what an executor can or cannot do! [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! I am one of 4 beneficiaries (siblings) who inherited a house from my father. There was an appraisal done after his death to establish a cost basis for the home. Home has not been sold yet due to family who thought they wanted to buy it, then indecision of executor to sell with realtor or...

Executor of estate/trust [ 3 Answers ]

My father passed away recently. My mother has survived him but she is incapacitated. I am the executor of their estate/trust. It is a sizable estate and I would like to gift funds to my brothers and their families. My father appointed my mother as his power of attorney and never updated it. ...

View more questions Search