Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sacha Posts: 94, Reputation: 7

Aug 16, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Cold sore
    I have had cold sores before, although I don't get them very frequently. Whenever I did have a symptom that a cold sore was coming, I would normally feel like a dry spot on my top lip. Now I noticed a small red spot like close to the inside of my top lip. I'm thinking it's a cold sore, but not sure. I was wondering if it sound like a cold sore to you guys.
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 16, 2007, 08:37 AM
    It could very well be a cold sore. If, after reading the symptoms page I provided, you think it is a cold sore you need to take precautions. Do not touch your eyes after touching the cold sore, this can cause you to get a sore on your cornea, which has the potential to cause serious damage and blinding. Also, do not share drinks or towels with anyone, as you can pass it to them. If it is a cold sore, you are definitely not alone. Something like 50% of teenagers in the US have them, and by the time people hit there 50's something like 80-90% have the virus that cause them. Anyway, hope this helps.

Cold Sores

Aug 16, 2007, 08:46 AM
    Thanks for the advice
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 09:01 AM
    Also go get some Abreva. It works really well especially at the first signs of a cold sore. It helps get it from getting really gross and blistery.

Aug 16, 2007, 09:27 AM
    You that medicine really is good. I always try to catch the cold sore very early so it won't get big and nasty looking
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 09:47 AM
    This doesn't address you original question, I know, but some info about my experience with cold sores...

A "med" I've found to work well is a lemon balm ointment... sometimes called "melissa officinalis" or "melissa cream"

There are a number of sites that sell or manufacture a lemon balm, but the one I bought from is called "cold sore relief" made by Lomapharm. Do a search on it and you'll find places that sell it... for ex:

Cold Sore Relief (TM) with allantoin - Soothing relief of cold sores, fever blisters, windburn, and chapping

I've found that using this early, when it just feels like a tingle, can dramatically reduce the sore... I really can't believe how well it works when used early. Started using it when the abreva didn't do the job I wanted and someone recommended the lemon balm.

Aug 18, 2007, 04:32 PM
    I will look into it. Thanks for sharing
    ncn129 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 08:34 PM
    I was reading what the other people posted and I was wondering if the abreva or the lemon balm help if the cold sore has already developed? I have never really had them before so I didn't know what to do when I got it and I think I did everything wrong and its pretty bad at the moment but I have been using carmex... I was wondering how long it will take to go away and if carmex is any good

Aug 20, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Well what I normally do is use abreva and then put blistex medicated ointment on top of it for a couple days. That normally helps, and I usually catch the cold sore before it get a chance to develop. The lemon balm thing is new to me though and I still have yet to look that up
    JanetB Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 06:07 AM
    The signs and symptoms of cold sores:
    - The first symptoms (prodromal) usually appear during an outbreak are tingling, burning, or itching.
    - Within a few hours to days, this area become reddened and develop small red bumps, which than develop into fluid-filled blisters.

Aug 28, 2007, 12:07 PM
    As long as I wash my hands before and after I put medication on my cold sore, I won't b spreading the infection to anywhere else on my body right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why are my breasts not sore? [ 7 Answers ]

I am 8 weeks pregnant and everyone keeps telling me my breasts should be sore or grown bigger there has been no change in them can anyone help explain why?

Sore hip [ 8 Answers ]

Any folk remedies, home cures for a sore hip? It is almost certainly arthritic. I walk a lot and do Tai Chi, but it has definitely gotten sorer over last few weeks. Any ideas/diet suggestions on how to minimize discomfort/stop deterioration/heal? Thanks.

Sore hip [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday, out of nowhere, my left hip started to be sore. The soreness is located sort of right where the entrance of the pocket would be on a pair of jeans, slightly towards the side. I have to sort of shift my weight as I walk now as otherwise it aggravates it and that's when I feel anything. ...

Sore throat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is katie. And I have had a sore throat that comes and goes all the time. I get white spots that come off and smell. But now it hurts in the middle of my throat and all the time, my ears hurt off and on. But then again ihave tmj so when my jaw hurts my ears hurt. Is my throat something to...

Penis gets sore [ 18 Answers ]

Hello I have a problem every time I urinate I guess the tip of my penis gets sore also after I'm done urinating I wipe my penis and I guess there's a little drop of blood on the urine cause it turns red.. so please can someone help I need to know if its an infection or something.. please... :(

View more questions Search