Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hdawson1 Posts: 31, Reputation: 6

Aug 15, 2007, 09:20 AM
    Just a rant not so much a ?
    Ok, I had a little girl two months ago. I was 36 weeks pregnant and she was stillborn. That's horrible in itself, especially going through hours of labor (not to mention I had one of those horrible epidural experiences where the top half of the body goes numb and you still feel EVERYTHING down below) and coming home empty handed to my little girls bassinet and her clothes and toys. I finally get back to work a week ago, and today, some oblivious person, just as cheerful as can be, asks me if I had my baby yet, and what it was. After this happened, I go to crying. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at the person, it isn't their fault they didn't know. My rant is more about myself. You have to understand, I am one of those "put together" people at work, and what happens at home stays at home. I guess I underestimated how much I was really hurting inside. I'm just so disappointed that I reacted like that to such an innocent question. Will I ever get over being so overly sensitive about losing my daughter, or am I destined to damn near have a panic attack any time anyone brings her up or says something stupid? (as people sometimes do, when we lose someone special)
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Aug 15, 2007, 09:27 AM
    When a friend of mine lost her child, I asked her if it was OK with her to have a memorial service for them and invited the co-workers.

This helped her out even though she is not one to mingle 'home' and 'work'. Sometimes it is just necessary to to get it all out and get rid of the risk of further pain.

Just a thought dear, and my condolences.

Did you already have a name picked out? You went through a lot and have a right to mourn.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 09:32 AM
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

It's only been two months it will take time. There is nothing wrong with showing your "human" side at work. I was always the same way at work until my grandmother died. I went to work the day after I found out and I just ended up crying at my desk. It was so embarrassing but everyone was so supportive and sweet. It just made me closer to my coworkers.

Let yourself grieve for as long as you need honey!
    hdawson1 Posts: 31, Reputation: 6

Aug 15, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Because of how far along I was, we did have to have her buried. We held a graveside service for her and my husband got to carry her little casket down to the actual gravesite. There were a lot of people from my work that came to show their support, and the day before the funeral everyone in my department wore pink ribbons. I guess word didn't spread all the way through the company though. I think I'm fixing to just take the rest of the day off (I'm still at work) I can't seem to stop crying for more than 10 minutes at a time. Thank you all for your support.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 09:54 AM
    I'm sure your boss would be more then understanding if you needed more time off. Sometimes it seems as if going to work will make it easier and all it does is focus your thoughts more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being nice seems to get you nowhere. (rant?) [ 19 Answers ]

ARGGGG Maybe I'm just in a bad mood tonight.. but, it seems like being nice is the wrong thing to do in almost ever situation. I would describve myself as a nice guy, have been for as long as I can remember. I do not enjoy confrontation, though I will engage if I must. I like to debate,...

View more questions Search