Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    merhere23 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Caught at 16, no lawyer, NY law treated as adult. Can I expunge my record?
    I have heard about people expunging their record - I am wondering if you can do that even if you plead guilty.

I recently found out I have a misdemeanor criminal record. I was caught on video shoplifting when I was 16, and plead guilty, under the impression it would be on a juvenile record and wouldn't show up. However I have discovered NY is one of 3 states where offenses committed @ 16 or older go on your adult criminal record.

I am 20 now, and about to graduate in a year. Is there a way to appeal/expunge my record before I finish school? I'm studying to become a teacher.

I don't know if it counts for anything, but the cops never called my parents and they had me sign the "damages stolen" papers without them or my lawyer present. I also never had a lawyer in the coutroom.
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Aug 13, 2007, 04:25 PM
    If NY says 16, then it must be 16. You can always make an attempt anyway, highlighting how you've been a good citizen since then. If you think your parents would know better about this, talk to them.

XenoSapien
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2007, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by merhere23
    I have heard about people expunging their record....
    I don't know if it counts for anything, but the cops never called my parents and they had me sign the "damages stolen" papers without them or my lawyer present. I also never had a lawyer in the coutroom.
    Hello merhere:

Depending on the law, you can certainly apply. No, all that stuff doesn't count for anything today. You'll need a lawyer.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treated lumber [ 3 Answers ]

How soon can I paint treated lumber? And could I used screws or nails on treated lumber?

Am I being treated fairly? [ 1 Answers ]

Since January this year ive been getting very close to a really nice boy. I bet you're thinking 'she fancies him' or w.e. But actually i don't, he sees me as his best friend and i feel the same. In January id had a stressful time with an ex boyfriend and i was often depressed and crying. He...

New Jersey "adult child" law [ 2 Answers ]

Is a child over the age of 18 considered a renter in NJ if there is no signed lease. The child has been allowed to live at the residence by the parents, but they now want him to leave. If he refuses, do we have to go through the eviction process?

Expunge felony theft over 1000 [ 4 Answers ]

I want to expunge a felony theft over 1000 charge. I pleaded guilty, paid my fees, finished probation. This was over 3 years ago. How do I go about doing it, and how much will it cost?

Treated Unfairly [ 3 Answers ]

I saw an ad for a roommate and I got the room. After six months, the roommate felt she can afford the rent on her own and wrote me a letter to move out in 30 days. I have never been late with the rent and now it is so hard to get a room and start moving out. She never told me I was there for just...

View more questions Search