Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apoorva1282 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2007, 10:44 AM
    Blood group
    If parents have same blood group eg:O, is it possible that child can have blood group other than O?
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 10:53 AM
    If you are type O, then you will pass an O allele to your child because you must be OO. Your child could end up being either O positive or O negative. I don't think it's possible for you child to be something other than O since both of you carry the allele OO.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 13, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Kris, can you please elaborate?
    Expert

Aug 13, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Rank is correct.

If the mother is A and the Father is B, the child will be one of three. Either A, B, or AB

Now if both parents are O then the child will be O. Now comes into play the Rhesus factor.

If the Mother is O+ and the father is O - then the child will either be O+ or O-.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Why thank yah J_9 and well explained!
    Kris1013 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Aug 13, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Sorry... I must've misunderstood the question... I shouldn't have answered, my mind was in a different place. Sorry to all!

Kris
    Expert

Aug 13, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Now, it can go much more in depth, upon reading further I see that Kris was a little closer than we were, Kris, I apologize, I was asking where you got your info is all.

Here it is in more detail. But I believe O types will have an O baby, where A or B types can have an O baby also.

I often get questions about a new baby's blood type. For example, a baby who is A- might be born to two parents who are both A+ and they are wondering how that could happen.

Related Articles
    • Newborn Guide
    • Newborn Screening
    • The Prenatal Visit
    • Breastfeeding
    • Cord Blood Banking
    • Newborn Survey
    • Newborn Problems

Internet Links
    • About Pediatrics
    • Newborns and Babies
    • Cord Blood Banking

Although many people understand how the major blood groups are inherited, the Rh factor (the + or - sign after the blood type) is more confusing.

To begin with, you normally have two alleles (out of a possible three alleles - A, B, O) for your blood type and pass one of them to your child.

A person who has a type A blood type can have either two A alleles (AA) or they can have one A and one O (AO). The same for someone of blood type B, who can be either BB or BO.

If you are type O, then you will pass an O allele to your child because you must be OO. If you are AB, you can pass either the A or the B to your child.

For parents who are both type A, they can both be either AO or AA. Therefore, they could pass an A or an O to their child and they could have a child with either type A blood or type O blood. This child could not be type B or type AB.

Just like you have two copies of the A, B or O alleles, you also have two copies of the Rh factor alleles. So for two parents who are both Rh positive, they could be either +/ - or +/+. If both of them are +/-, then they could have each passed the - allele to their child and have a negative (-/-) child.

So two A+ parents could have children with the following blood types:

A+, A-, O+, O-

How about if one parent was A- and the other was A+?

Again, the baby could be either A+, A-, O+, O-. While the A- parent would only give an Rh- factor, the other parent could donate either a + or a - depending on whether he was -/+ or +/+.

What if they were both A-?

Then their baby could only be either A- or O-, since both parents are Rh - they must be -/- and can only give a - to their child. This child could not be A+ or O+ with two parents that are A-.

How about if mom is A+ and dad is B+?

In this case, mom could be either AA or AO and have either +/+ or +/- Rh factor alleles. So she could give her baby either an A or O allele and either a + or - Rh factor allele.

Dad could be either BB or BO and will also have either +/+ or +/- Rh factor alleles, and could give his baby either a B or O allele and either a + or - Rh factor allele.

So the baby could be either:

* AB : getting A from mom and B from dad
    * A (AO) : getting A from mom and O from dad
    * B (BO) : getting O from mom and B from dad
    * O (OO) : getting O from mom and O from dad

And his Rh factor could be either + or -, depending on which Rh factor allele he inherits from each parent. So this baby could have any of the possible blood types.

With newer DNA testing, using blood types to determine paternity, or who the father is, isn't really that useful anymore. The main problem is that this method just tells you what the blood type the father could or could not have, and since many of these blood types are common, it doesn't necessarily help narrow down who the father could be.

Still, it sometimes does come up when a baby's blood type isn't what the parents expect it to be.
    hdawson1 Posts: 31, Reputation: 6

Aug 15, 2007, 10:02 PM
    A little visual on what J_9 is talking about...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my period too long? Is it real blood or period blood? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm really worried. My period came a month early, I only have it once in two months. I have huge cramps and tylenol doesn't work but it usually does. The color and smell are different. The color is much lighter and clear and the smell doesn't have the usual scent, it smells more like the...

Group - A & Group-T shares [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just want to know what are Group-A shares & Group-T shares and what we mean by that. On what basis this groupings are done

What is TSM group [ 3 Answers ]

Has anyone heard about TSM Group are they legit or a scam? Really need to know.:confused:

What group? [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the 70s funk song "Cisco Kid"?

The blood shed & the blood sprinkled! [ 4 Answers ]

THE BLOOD SHED & THE BLOOD SPRINKLED In the Old Testament and the New Testament sacrificial "Blood" is spoken of in two ways;i.e. "The Blood shed and the Blood sprinkled." IN THE OLD TESTAMENT WHAT WAS THE APPLICATION OF "SHED BLOOD" RE "ATONEMENT" (the 'moment the Blood became...

View more questions Search