Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lena500 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 11:42 AM
    Wood Staining
    I recently had a headboard stained and after the topcoat dried it was very sticky to the touch. The same products were used earlier on other furniture with not problem. What causes this? How can I get rid of the sticky residue?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 09:20 PM
    By topcoat, do you mean the topcoat of stain? Or the clear finish that you may have applied after the stain had dried thoroughly? Also, was the stain or finish applied in an area, outside or inside, that has a lot of humidity and/or where there is not much fresh air flow?

Aug 14, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Polyacrylic water based topcoat semi-gloss was used. It was applied in an opened garage.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Is the topcoat still sticky? It has been a few days now.

Aug 22, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Yes the topcoat is still sticky. The topcoat was applied a few months ago. What would happen if paint thinner was applied to remove the sticky residue?
    Knot Hole Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Aug 31, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Water base poly acrylic... either Minwax or Flecto.. both the same material... I have found Lacquer thinner to attack it... really sounds like wax in the base finish... sounds like a total strip & remove procedure.. hit up the minwax website.. maybe they have some insights... sholud dry within 6 hours easily...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cherry Wood-Prep and staining [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 60 year old Willet cherry wood dresser. I can sand most of it down to the bare wood. Before I apply a gel stain, do I need to prep the wood any? Also after 60 years, will this wood age and get darker like most cherry wood does? Thanks Jim

Staining whitewash furniture [ 3 Answers ]

I have a whitewashed occasional table set that I would like to stain a dark color. In the essence of time, I am looking for the least lengthy process... Do I have to strip, sand, etc..? Can I lightly sand and add stain? Is there a quick method? HELP?

Concrete staining [ 3 Answers ]

Can concrete be acid stained with fiber mesh in the mix.

Siding staining [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older house built in the 40's with 12 inch beveled cedar siding. Under this is the old traditional 3/4 inch shiplap. Over the shiplap is tarpaper. I have noticed weeping and dark stains on the siding and would attribute this to probably no vapour barrier. What can be done, if...

View more questions Search