Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sacha Posts: 94, Reputation: 7

Aug 9, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Update, trying to get pregnant
    OK as most of you know I am trying to get pregnant, if you have read my past post. Well yesterday morning my period came, such a disappointment. My period came in June, no period in July, and it came this month. I really thought I was pregnant for sure because I was experiencing cramping and my nipples were tender ( I never had tender nipples before I get my period ever). Plus I didn't see my period at all in July.o well, I still have not gotten my blood results yet for pregnancy but I will get them Saturday. I doubt that it will detect any pregnancy hormones anyway:rolleyes: I'm thinking about purchasing an ovulation kit because tracking my ovulation myself is hard because my periods are so irregular. Has anyone used an ovulation kit before? I've heard they really help.
    christy9800 Posts: 59, Reputation: 7

Aug 9, 2007, 06:49 AM
    I'm really sorry your having so many problems getting pregnant. I had a total hysterectomy 2years ago and I was only 26. I would do anything to have more babies. But, at least the lord blessed me with 2. Anyway, I have heard that the first trimester of pregnancy women will still have their periods. My mom did with me. It really isn't that uncommon. I don't want to get your hopes up if your not. I'm just letting you know what I know. Unfortunately for your question, I don't have a clue if those work or not. I never had to use one. Good luck to you and I hope everything turns out for you!

Aug 9, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 08:20 AM
    Hi... my husband and I have been trying for awhile now, and I have super-irregular periods! I usually won't have a period unless I am on some sort of meds be it birth control or hormones (you can get a precsription from your doctor to regulate you better) anyway... because my periods were so irregular I wasn't ever sure when I was due, or if I had missed a period because I might be pregnant or its just my dysfuctional body! Haha so I do a combo of ovulation tests and temps (if you want to get pregnant its worth all the charting in the world).

I buy a lot of ovulation tests because depending on the length of your cycle you ovulate at different times... since I didn't know when I would be ovulating I tested a lot... I buy all my testing supplies at Early Pregnancy Tests and Ovulation Predictor Kits for Home Use I swear by them... its SUPER cheap and they have combo packs that include ovulation test and pregnancy tests... and you get more tests than what you get in the stores!

So... I started testing about 10 days after my period and just tested everyday until I got a positive result... once you get a positive result you should ovulate in the next 36 hours.

Now there is always the chance that you will get a positive result and not ovulate (sometime your body just didn't get hormones to the precise levels and you won't ovulate) Ovulation tests just detect the LH hormone surge... they can't tell you if you did in fact ovulate... that why I also take my temps.

You can get a charting calendar at Epigee Pregnancy Resource where you can chart you temps... read up on BBT (basal body temp) in short, your waking temp will spike from the norm (about .3-.6 degrees) AFTER you ovulate due to the body producing the heat-emitting hormone progesterone that is present when you release an egg. But again, your temp will only rise AFTER you ovulate... which, if used alone, is usually too late because your egg starts desinergrating after about 12 hours... but if you are doing the calendar you will know that the previous 6 days before your temp spike are your most fertile days... so that's why I do both... the ovulation tests to detect the surge... then the temps to be sure I did in fact ovulate.

The best book to get is "Taking charge of your Fertility"... it shows you how to detect when your are most fertile, your peak fertility days... etc... its a great book!!

Hope this helps some!!

Good luck!

Aug 9, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Yes I used to be on BC because my periods were so irregular, but I stopped taking them in April to get pregnant. Anyway, thanks for the info
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 08:36 AM
    Yeah that's why I originally was on BCP as well... my OB has me on Prometrium right now because she knows we are trying to get pregnant, it regulates my period pretty well. I also take prenatal vitamins in attempt to help :)

I hope everything works out for you!

Aug 9, 2007, 09:12 AM
    I never heard of prometrium. How long do u have to take that and how will u b able to get pregnant if u take that? I'm taking precare conceive, its like a prenatal vitamin but gives me vitamins prior to conception
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Well Prometrium may not be used in your case... if your periods are simply irregular, but you still have them you will need to discuss possibly other medications with your doctor. I take prometrium because I don't have periods unless I am on some type of medication... unassisted... with no meds... I don't have periods. So Prometrium basically makes my body go through the process of a periods... makes my uterine lining build up. I take 10 pills a month and it initiates the period I normally wouldn't have if not on the medication... of course if/when I get pregnant I discontinue the medication.

You just need to check all possibilities... if you are having periods, checking your BBT will tell you if you are in fact ovulating. You can have a period and not ovulate. If that is the case you would need to consult your doctor to discuss why you are not ovulating. My OB did a complete bloodwork panel to make sure all my hormones were at the right levels (since I wasn't having a period)... the bloodwork was fine, so she prescribed Prometrium. She said Prometrium does not make me ovulate, just builds up the lining. So my next issue is weather or not I am ovualting :(

So she said to try, and if we still couldn't get pregnant, she would put me on hormones to MAKE me ovulate.

How long have you been trying?

Aug 9, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Well I stopped taking yasmin in April. We started trying in June. I thought I was pregnant because I didn't see my period at all in July, but I just got my period yesterday, so I guess I'm not. I was pregnant last year but had a miscarriage. I had a D&C done to stop the bleeding

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to conceive [ 11 Answers ]

I'm new to this board... Kristine, 23. Been married for a little over a year.:D My husband & myself finally decided to start trying for a baby this March 2006. So I went off my birth control pills; which I was on for 6 years. I haven't gotten pregnant yet @ all. Which is really depressing for...

Trying to find 70's kung fu movie. [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to find a kung fu movie possible in the 70's vintage period. This movies plot involves a young student of the Tiger style that has not mastered it due to his Masters murder. He then has to avenge his master but must combine Crane style to 'fill in the gaps'. One of the training...

Trying to find a word [ 5 Answers ]

What is it called when the day,month and year are the same e.g 05/05/05 :confused:

View more questions Search